PSA LEVELS

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers

This may sound daft but I have to ask. Because of the Coronavirus I've had to go for my PSA levels to another hospital. They usually run at 0.02. They've just come back as <0.2. Any thoughts on this? I'm also 3 years post RALP.

• Different hospitals run different levels of accuracy of testing. Mine is <0.1. I have no ideal where that is or if it’s rising, in some respects I feel more accurate testing causes anxiety in that treatment doesn’t restart until psa >= 0.2 and even then often that’s only waiting to calculate doubling time.  Lots of follow treatment can only be done once or twice therefore acting too soon means options removed later in the process.

If your psa usually is below <0.1 I’d ignore any variation until it rises above, the only caveat would be frequency of testing, you might only have tests once every 6 months if rising then more frequent testing might be in order

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thank you for your kind reply, it's settled my mind. I am tested every 6 months for my PSA levels in Liverpool, but had to have them taken locally due to the Coronavirus. I thought all labs would report the same, as to cause less anxiety for people.