No energy

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi finnished radiotherapy for prostate cancer last year & taking zoladex usual side effects .Now I find the hot sweats are less often but hotter & draining I'm on the go most of the day But I find now my joints & back are aching & legs feel heavy the question is dose any one think exercise might work.If so what sort or is this what happens & I'm stuck with the situation thank for reading post                              DAVIE B 

• Hi Davie. Sorry to hear that he hot flushes are getting stronger although it's good that they are getting less frequent. Are you taking any medication for them? I took Evening Primrose oil and Sage Leaves which worked well for me. I started off taking 1 by 1500mg capsule of EP Oil twice per day and 2 by 280mg Sage capsules twice per day. I gradually reduced those quantities and now take 1 by 1300mg EP Oil and 2 by 280mg Sage just once per day which is keeping the hot flushes at bay.

If the natural treatment doesn't work ask your GP and they might be able to prescribe either Cyproterone or Provera both of which are known to work well for hot flushes. There is also a homeopathic treatment using sepia (cuttlefish ink) which a friend of mine took and worked for him.

As for exercise I was very fit when I started RT but did lose fitness quite quickly. Despite the fatigue, I continued to exercise as much as I could manage throughout the treatment but did need at least an hour's rest every afternoon. The fatigue continued for several weeks following the completion of RT but I kept up the regime of exercising as much as I could manage. I did manage to get back to rowing in regattas a few months after RT and tried to walk at least two miles every day (having a dog is a great asset here). I also attended an aerobics class once a week until the start of lockdown.

I will be 73 in August and at the moment I am unable to row or go to classes so walking is the only exercise. I currently walk three or four miles most days (sometimes as much as ten) except when the weather is too awful. I also do skipping for about 5 minutes every morning which gets the heart rate up pretty high.

I hope that helps.

Good luck with getting fit again.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thanks for reply Seamus I will look into what you said and hope things get better I get a call from my consultant thurs i will see what she says about it davie b

Davieb