Bloody cancer !!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 38 replies
  • 114 subscribers

So hope everyone is ok ? Xxx had some crappy news Brett had a scan and they’ve now said there is a shadow in his ribs but PSA has gone down WearyWearyWearyWeary they’re saying it may be scarring from an injury we are so confused Neutral face any ideas 

• Hi Kellyhu, I would think they will need to do a PET scan or a bone scan and/or an mpMRI to see If the shadow is damage or cancer. Have they talked about that?

Ido4

• What is the history, has he had previous surgery/ radiotherapy what is his psa readings, Gleason scores.

I had surgery and the psa didn’t drop below 0.1 so classed recurrent.  I had a pet psma scan which showed occurrence in my ribs.  I imagine that either they will monitor psa to check for it rising or perform another scan if a more accurate one is available.   It does of course depend on previous treatments 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Hey 

Brett had his prostate removed but his PSA continued rising which is why they did further scan and gave him hormone treatment 

After scan they have informed us that his PSA had dropped to 0.2 but .... he had a shadow on his rib so he now has another in depth scan on Tuesday 

the doctor did say it could be scarring from a previous injury but we cannot remember him ever having trauma to his ribs 

it all seems so vague !!! 
    Thank you for your reply 

kelly

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Hi 

yes he has another in depth scan booked for Tuesday 

if it is cancer is there treatment ? Brett seems to think there is not ? I feel so out of my depth and googling info just makes it worse WearyWeary

thank you for your reply 

kelly

• I'm unfortunately in a similar position. Prostratectomy last march, recurrent psa (similar levels) with confirmed cancer in ribs. I've received chemotherapy 6 cycles in 3 week intervals. Hormone injections every three months.   I've been told whilst there is no cure there are treatments to manage long term. I'm 51 so hoping to manage for a long time consultant said 10s of years.

This is a long journey you can only take it day by day and step by step. Whilst we don't know what lies ahead (although my mind does sometimes wonder) we do know what we've got today

• FormerMember

Oh wow you sound so brave !!! And this sounds identical to Brett !!! So there is treatment ? That’s good news x how do you feel ? Does chemo wipe you out ? And that’s a great prognosis !Grinning Like you say we must live for today x 

• I'm not always so positive. I wouldn't call myself brave as I have no option. Yes I've shed quite a few tears.

Chemo did totally wipe me out. It's taken sometime to recover. 

Who knows what will happen in some respects I'd prefer not to know

Incurable doesn't mean terminal 

• FormerMember

Agreed !! So scary it’s taken me about 3 days for it to finally hit me that this is happening x thank you for taking the time to reply xx

• Hi Kelly

Hope you are keeping well.

My husband had the same, shadow on his rib - was told possibly cancer or an old injury.  He had a follow up bone scan, 'the shadow'  was no longer visible (hooray we thought), but were told that as he was now on hormone treatment it was likely to be a metastatic deposit.  He will be starting 6 sessions of chemo shortly, once that course has finished he will have a break of approx 4 weeks before he starts 20 sessions of radiotherapy.

We are keeping positive and dealing with every day as it comes,

take care, B

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to bego1

Hi B 

thank you so much x it seems to be exactly the same scenario !! How is your husband ? Have that given you any idea of how long the treatment is ? Or is it ongoing ? I hope you’re looking after yourself as well xxx