Radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello All,

I start radiotherapy on the 23rd and looking forward to the biscuits.

A couple of questions

Side effects - has anyone had any night mares or been lucky with mild impact

Progression - I understand I’m going to feel worse as the treatment progresses - is that a fair comment?

Best wishes to you all out there and let’s share the Good when we have some.

robert

• I continued to exercise 3-4 times a week during radiotherapy.  I had one night where I was up nearly all night urinating - about 30 times that night but other than that nothing.  No bowel or other urinary problems.  However, due to bladder problems I am usually up at least 3 times a night and that hasn't changed but had nothing to do with the prostate or the cancer.  To me the radiotherapy was probably the best bit.  We made the most of our time in the city going to theatre, cinema and exhibitions and visiting old friends so that probably helped.  For the first two weeks we lived in the city at a Travel lodge and after that at a Cancer Self help centre about half an hour away from the hospital.  I only had 9 months hormone treatment and I found the hot flushes and fatigue worse from that than radiotherapy though some get this worse whilst undergoing radiotherapy.  I did not.  You should be OK until about half way through the radiotherapy as regards any bowel or urinary problems so possibly after 10 or so treatments this can be , unrinating more frequently or having trouble starting to urinate and can either be constipation or diarrohea (sp?) .  Tell the radiologists immediately you have any problems and they will prescribe anything you need. 

All the best.

• Hi, I had 37 radiotherapy sessions, and never a biscuit in sight. Mine was about 2 years ago so I suppose treatment could have well changed since then to include the hobnobs.

Best regards 

Mally

Don't let your good days be spoilt by the worry of a bad day, that may or may not come along.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mally333

If it’s Ginger nuts I’m going to be most upset!

Thanks Mally

• Hi 

As you may have heard, we are all different how this affects us, in my case I had one day of diarrhoea, but because the beam is although small, it can affect some of your stomach, it could take months or years, in my case about two or so years. 
    I kept having stomach problems, had all the tests, camera down my throat, etc, although they never say the radiotherapy can affect your abdomen.

• I had some redness to my skin where the radiotherapy was targeted, but I never ever got ginger nuts.

Don't let your good days be spoilt by the worry of a bad day, that may or may not come along.

• Yes no biscuits in sight at my hospital either.  I will be gutted if I find out that this is an important part of the treatment I missed out on!

• Robert

After 20 sessions of RT in the pelvic area it's going to be ginger nuts anyway!

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Biscuits should be part of all treatment and I requested Fruit & Nut. Ever hopeful.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Just a quick question does anyone know if one hat fits all and everyone has 20 sessions of radiotherapy no matter what their gleason and psa results are. If so how does this work in a curitive way. As I am reading other men have had 37 sessions two years ago why has this changed?

Any information appreciated thanks. 

• Hi Margaret

20 or 37 sessions, u get the same amount of radiotherapy.

Newer systems have the 20 sessions, IMRT or IGRT  are a couple of examples.

Steve