No Incontenance after Robotic Prostectomy

• 1 reply
  • 109 subscribers

Hi Thought I would post about my husbands recovery after Robotic Prostectomy .He had the operation to remove his prostate after three years on active surveillance his PSA started to rise rapidly .He had a bone scan and MRI which are both clear of spread outside the prostate.The cancer had spread to both sides and was near the edge of the prostate so removal  was offered to him .His Consultant surgeon is the main man for the Da Vinci robotic surgery in our hospital trust with a good level.of experience in this form.of operation .He advised that no nerve saving  would be possible due to the extent if the cancer in the prostate. The operation was more complicated than expected and lasted over 4 hours due to the size of prostate and more blood vessels than expected in fact they almost changed it to open surgery .However the Robotic surgery proceeded and my husband spent only two nights in hospital he had the catheter in for 14 days and I expected him to be somewhat incontinent after its removal .However unbelievably he is completely back to normal 1 day after the catheter removal no incontinence whatsoever, no need for pads ,no night excursions to the toilet a little more urgency than before but nothing to cause concern .I cant believe hiow well he is, must be down to the skill of the surgeon .Hopefully he has removed the cancer but as we all.know there is a chance it may still be lurking in places hidden from the scans but at the moment he is doing very well indeed .The surgeon didnt think it necessary to remove any lymph nodes as there is no evidence of lymph node spread .The operation is  no walk in the park my husband is still sore and a bit uncomfortable but I thought I would share the fact that he is completely continent after this surgery to give reassurance that incontinence is not always the case after this type of surgery .