Just been diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi all,

So I have had a bit of an odd journey to get to this point.  June 2019 I ripped a muscle in my back and was taken into A&E at the JR Hospital in Oxford.  After a few CT scans, they found an enlarged lymph node in my groin.  After a few more scans I had a biopsy in January of the lymph node and was told last night that it is cancerous and most likely that my prostate is the main site.  This morning I have just had bloods taken for a PSA test.

Funny thing is that I have not had any symptoms associated with prostate cancer. 

So here I am absolutely terrified inside but try to keep an image of in control...

Anyhow that's me, hopefully speak to you all soon.

Take care

G.

• I know how you feel.  No symptoms yet diagnosed and spread.

All the best for your ongoing treatment. Keep as positive as you can, treatment can manage this successfully. 

J

• Often there are no symptoms of prostate cancer and some you could associate with growing older and others can be masked by other problems you may have.  You have a good treatment hospital there at the JR and I believe they have a Maggies Cancer Centre there where you can always go there and chat with other prostate cancer sufferers.  I am not sure if they have a prostate cancer group at the Maggies Centre there but they do at our Maggies centre so do go and find out.  It is a great place to go to for advice from their professionals who work there and to talk with other sufferers.  Also I would go to the Prostate Cancer UK website and download their pamphlets in the Prostate Cancer Toolkit as this explains things for you at the point of diagnosis and possible treatment options.

Once you know your PSA you are usually sent for a MRI and then a  biopsy of the prostate as you will gather from the pamphlets from Prostate Cancer UK these scans and tests will give you numbers to tell you a lot more about your cancer, which, along with age and general health will usually point the way to treatment options too.

Remember there will always be someone here to answer your queries although we are not medical professionals we can give you our experiences which can always help.

Take care and let us know your test results etc. and how you are getting on.

All the best,

Des