Tablets and injections.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi all, any thoughts gratefully received. Like lots of others I've recently been diagnosed and have been told I will be starting radiation therapy in a few months. I'm a few days off finishing my course of tablets and have had the first of my 3 monthly injections.  Am I likely to feel any less tired when I come off the tablets? I'm thinking that tablets and I injections together may be quite a strong dose?

Thanks in advance

• Hi Bernz, I'm sorry that you have been diagnosed with PC and have had to come here but welcome to the forum anyway.

The tablets and injections have different functions. For PC patients who are having radiotherapy it's normal to start with a one-month course of anti-androgen tablets (Bicalutamide is the most common) which prevents tumour flare. Within that first month (it could be any time from only three days after starting the tablets to the full month) you will have a synthetic hormone used to reduce the levels of testosterone circulating in the body. There are several different hormone injections PROSTAP being the most common.

Some oncologists will start with a one-month dose of the hormone but others will go straight to the three-months injections. My oncologist wanted me to have a single one-month dose followed by three-monthly injections but my GP insisted on two one-month doses to start with so that shee could check that I was tolerating it OK.

The purpose of the hormones is to shrink the tumour in order to make a better target for the radiotherapy. You may also continue the hormone treatment after the RT is finished, but some members here stopped almost immediately. I have been on hormone treatment for 18 months and will continue for another 18 months. It all depends on the aggressiveness of your tumour (Gleason score), TNM rating and of course your oncologist!

I hope your treatment goes well.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

My husband has just finished his treatment including radiotherapy. He too had hormone therapy with tablets then 3 monthly injections. His tiredness stayed the same and is still like this after his radiotherapy treatment however he's been assured that it will sort itself out given time. Hope this helps

• Hi

Your tiredness will prevail unfortunately and maybe a bit of fatigue, the only good thing is, you do get used to it. 
    joe

• hey 

been on hormone injections now for a year , also now on daily tablets too !! 

the best thing i've found to combat tiredness/fatigue is exercise and in my case working as i'm a gardener so get a workout everyday i work .

keep busy go out walking maybe swimming too .

the hormone treatment will also make u gain weight as well .

gd luck with ur treatment