Hot & cold flush side effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi

Husband has had 2 Decapeptyl injections and  we have appointment later this week for bone scan results. Hot and cold flushes are difficult for my husband along with feeling itchy all over. Do such side effects eventually reduce? At present he is either really cold or really hot.

At least hospital appointment will let us know what happens next. 

• I suffer with flushes, hot flushes sweating then cold.  I’ve also had chemo so unsure what symptoms to attribute to what treatment.
    whether flushes improve hopefully we will get used to them and know what exasperates them

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have been having Goserelin (Zoladex) implants for 4 months before radiotherapy which should start tomorrow. For me the hot and cold flushes got progressively worse until I was having them    very frequently. I saw my G.P. and she talked with my Consultant Oncologist, together they came up with Provera (Progestin) . This has had a really good effect and while I still have a few flushes it is much better. I don’t know if that is appropriate in your husband’s case. 

Good luck with the bone scan results, mine showed some anomalies and I had to have a PET/CT scan which fortunately showed all clear.

my cancer is localised early stage so the Radiotherapy should do the trick.

• Hi,

Talk to your Docs if things are really very bad for you then there is medication out there which can help you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thank you for sharing. We’ll know more at hospital tomorrow. Hope you are ok after chemo. Look after yourself and I hope you identify things that make hot flushes worse.

Thanks

Helen24

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you. I can speak with consultant tomorrow. I hope bone scan is ok. I know it husband is grade 5 highly aggressive - Gleason 10. I think stress of waiting is also hard.

Thanks Helen24

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Thanks will speak to consultant tomorrow.

• Indeed stress of waiting.

It's hard to know sometimes whether too much knowledge is detrimental. It's sometimes hard to enjoy today rather than worry about tomorrow.  Mine is in ribs so cannot be cured just need to enjoy whatever time hormone therapy can give us.

Make sure you look after yourself and enjoy whatever positives there are. You can only help someone if you look after yourself.

As stated there are things that can help with flushes, i know caffeine and alcohol can impact, (doesn't mean I'll give up either, perhaps control though).

J

• Hi Helen,

I take Evening Primrose oil (1 x 1300mg) and Sage Leaf capsules (2 x 285mg) twice a day after breakfast and supper and I don't have any problem with hot flushes at all. I still sweat profusely when doing my aerobics class, but that happened before the hormone treatment.

Evening Primrose and Sage Leaf are natural products and even if they don't work for your husband they won't do aany harm. I get them from Holland & Barratt and usually wait until there's a "Buy One Get One for a Penny" offer before stocking up.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Seamus47

Thank you it’s worth a try. I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Helen24