Recent diagnosis of Prostrate Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi, this is all so new at the minute. My husband was just diagnosed grade 5 highly aggressive prostrate cancer. Waiting on bone scan and have started hormone treatment. In his mid 50’s. Just looking for advice as we start this long journey.

• hi helen 

first off so sorry you are here on this site .

when u say he's grade 5 do you mean his gleason score ? thats presuming he's  had a biopsy ? 

i'm gleason 9 (5+4) so also very aggressive mine is incurable according to them !!

do plenty of research and ask questions when you see ur oncologist .

have they said if its outside the prostrate itself ? 

staying positive is a big factor in how you deal with this imo , its helped me through a lot !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anubis

Thank you Anubis

Gleason score is 10 and we hope it is contained, however, we hope to have a bone scan soon to confirm this. Hormone treatment started, 1st injection next week. Happy now treatment started and the journey to control the cancer has commenced. It’s helpful knowing others who are on the same journey.

Hope you continue to win your battle. I hope you have support on your journey. This journey is not fun, but it’s easier when supported by friends.

Thanks

Helen24

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

HI Helen,

Sorry you find yourself needing to join this group - but I find it very useful, friendly forum for asking questions - someone somewhere will have experienced whatever issue it is you/your husband are experiencing and will give their thoughts.

I have PC which has spread to my pelvis - Gleason 4 + 5 = 9 and although classified as "low metastatic burden" is regarded as incurable by the medics, however I like to think of it as there is no cure available at the moment. Always think positive...

Check out my profile for a very high level timeline of the treatment I have received to control this since my diagnosis in Feb 19.

Please ask any questions you may have.

Kevin

• FormerMember

Hi Helen, I was diagnosed in September and have been on Goserelin (Zoladex) hormone implants every 28 days since 23rd September, I will be starting radiotherapy in January. Mine is localised and has not outside the prostate. I find the hormone treatment makes me very tired and I get lots of sweats. Talking to people who have been through it helps a lot to deal with concerns and to give the confidence that it can be treated and cleared. My brother was treated 8 years ago and has been clear sine and today’s treatments are much more advanced. You have to adapt your routines to take account of the side effects, each of us responds differently. Hope all goes well for you both

• FormerMember

Kevin thank you for taking the time to reply. It’s a worrying time and totally new to me. 
    I hope you stay strong and manage to control your symptoms.

Thanks 
    Helen24

• FormerMember

Richman

Thank you for contacting me. Our journey began 18 months ago but it was only last week that 2nd biopsy found highly aggressive cancer in my husband. He is on hormone tablets at present with first injection next week. He is tired and like me both looking forward to getting bone scan but fearing results. Talking to people on this journey is really helpful. 

I hope you keep well and continue to fight this disease.

Thanks

Helen24

• hi helen 

you say ur journey started 18 months ago what happened then and what where u told ? 

what was his psa then ? 

it looks like he's just started ht now ! ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anubis

Hi, I may have misread or incompletely read what you've written, but thought it might it help to clarify some things. I note the grade 5 which is based on a Gleason score of 9 or 10. This means the cancer is very aggressive hence the immediate hormone therapy. I don't seem to have read if you have been given a tumour "T" grading. This is usually based on the biopsy, more importantly, on an MRI. The MRI should indicate if the tumour is either contained in the gland itself, or has grown through the gland wall, invaded other tissues nearby or has spread to lymph nodes in the pelvis. The grade 5, Gleason 10 does NOT give any indication of this "spread", it is only an indication of how likely it is. An MRI detects local spread. The bone scan will detect if any cancer cells have spread to any bones, usually bones of the pelvis, spine or ribs. " Spread" is an important indicator of the treatment for the disease and for prognosis. The best scenario is "Localised" prostate cancer, where it is still contained in the gland. Locally "advanced" is not.as good and is where it has spread outside the gland, but not beyond the pelvic cavity. "Advanced" is where it has spread to lymph nodes outside the pelvic cavity or bone. "Metastatic" cancer.

I may have missed it, sorry, but if you weren't told the MRI result, you could ask   I would be astonished if he didn't have one.

When the bone scan results are available, then further treatment options can be considered.

You may hear prostate cancer being described as curable or incurable.  I don't think these are particularly useful descriptions.  Obviously, it's a great shock to be told you have incurable cancer as people tend to assume it's the "end".  which isn't all necessarily true which can be witnessed by many members of this site living "with" cancer.

Conversely, being told you have "curable" is perhaps unrealistically reassuring and many men, like myself, even having had "successful" treatment, still live under the shadow of this disease.