Proctitis?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi Folks,

i was diagnosed with prostate cancer nearly two year ago,Gleason 7, and had hormone treatment, high dose Brachatherapy, and 15 radiotherapy sessions which finished last September.

Since then I have experienced mucus from back passage, poor urine flow( which has since improved) and ongoing constiptaion which I have always suffered with, but worse since the treatment. I take Fybogel for this.

A couple of months ago I started occasionally seeing blood from my back passage. I went to the doctor and was sent for a colonoscopy which apart from a benign polyp was clear. The consultant suggested it was proctitis.

In the last week the constipation has worsened and I have seen more blood. I am also experiencing problems passing urine, urgency and some pain and not feeling 100%. A urine sample has been sent off by my doctor to check for an infection.

My PSA at my last check up was 0.1

Just wondered if anyone else has experience this and have any solutions.

Thanks

• Hi Charliederbs, I had salvage radiotherapy 2 and a half years ago. I was diagnosed with proctitis in September 2017 after a colonoscopy. I also had a benign polyp removed.

I still have rectal leaks, some bleeding and mucus, I’m currently awaiting another colonoscopy to investigate this. The last time I spoke to my oncologist about the leaking and mucus his advice was to cut back on fibre!

I didn’t do that.

I hope others come along with their experiences too.

Ido4

• Hi Ian

Just wondered if u have tried pro biotics to try and encourage good gut bacteria? Just a thought, but u probably have tried anyway

Regards

Steve

• Hi Steve, I haven’t for a while. I think I’ll look into that again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ido4

• U have probably seen it already but there is a lot of info online about good gut health being helpful with PC

There are quite a lot of different pro biotics  tablets but there is a liquid one as well, I can get the name if interested.

Steve

• Thanks Steve, I’ve been dealing with a lot of stuff so that would be useful. Much appreciated.

Ido4

• Hi Ian

The liquid is called Molkosan, not available everywhere but most good health food stores.

Not sure if u need to check with a doctor before taking it but I'm sure that u know all about that

If u do take it would be interested to hear if it works for u

Steve

• I have had this on and off since radiotherapy and after lots of testsand various medications pro biotics, antibiotics, etc a low fodmap diet none of which really worked.  I finally had a breath analyzer test which I had to wait nearly 2 years for as only one hospital does it.  I have been diagnosed with over production of bacteria.  Basically where the radiotherapy has inflamed the rectum etc the body has decided there isn't enough bacteria and goes into overproduction.  I have since been on another 2 week course of strong antibiotics and still no difference.  I see the gastro enterologist tomorrow to find another wayforward but my daughter-in-law has found out that SIBO can be well treated naturally after a course of strong antibiotics.  I haven't done this as I have been ill anyway but am going to ask the GE about this tomorrow.  If I remember I will post the link to the page my daughter-in-law found for me.

Des