Update

• 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

I promised to update you all, so here goes. It has been quite a week as on Monday evening, hubby received a call from his CNS to say that the MDT had discussed his case again and surgery was no longer their preferred option. He totally shut down after relaying this info and nothing was up for discussion. Cue no sleep for me that night and despite me asking him not to go to work he went!!

I rang the CNS, got the answerphone and left a message asking for a urgent meeting with someone and could someone please ring my hubby back. Just before lunch, hubby rings me and starts to tell me that the surgeons secretary at Addenbrooks had rung and asked could he attended an appointment on Thursday morning and be prepared to be there all day. We were even more confused. My phone started beeping, so I told hubby I would ring him back as it was the CNS. She asked me what was going on and I explained about hubby shutting down and us being very confused as why was surgery now not the preferred route as the only result in the last two weeks since being offered surgery was a clear bone scan. Her answers totally added to the confusion as reason 1, they were no longer confident of removing all the cancer and 2, they weren't sure he was fit enough for surgery. I told her about the phone call from the surgeon and hubby had accepted the appointment. I asked if there was any news on an appointment with the radiologist/oncologist and she said it should be week commencing 11/11.

Thursday saw us at the appointment at Addenbrooks and we both felt for the first time that we were people and not a number and this feeling just grew and grew. We were given time and never felt rushed to digest things, ask questions, re ask the same questions in some instances. Our main question of why things had changed was dealt with very sympathetically and explained in great detail. Because his Gleason score is 9 they cannot guarantee that the cancer had not migrated microscopically and it is two small to pick up on the scans. Also (I'm calling it tumour 2 as they haven't said which is which) is very close to the nerves which means it isn't safe to attempt a nerve saving procedure so both nerve bundles will have to be sacrificed as wider margins have to be taken, along with the lymph nodes. There was nothing said about his 'apparent' bad health and after various tests they said he is in good shape and offered a date for surgery but would like him to still talk to the other team. We explained that the appointment with them was likely to be after the date offered for surgery. We then found out that a date had been set for the 11th, two days before surgery. We asked what would happen if the lymph nodes showed positive on examination and they said he would probably have to have chemo.

So lots to think about. The surgery is booked, but can be cancelled if after talking to the other team hubby changes his mind. And we wondered if anyone has had a NON nerve saving Prostatectomy as they were very good in making sure that we both understood that there would never be any more natural erections. 

We are still confused to a degree and not at all certain that the decision reached is the right one, but it is the decision that hubby is slightly more happier with. Has anyone had a score of 9 where the cancer hasn't spread outside of the gland, as they are still saying there is no breach of the capsule but it could have spread microscopically.

Thanks.

• Hi BL

They have given a couple of good reasons for not going ahead with the surgery option so why have they changed their mind, u say that the surgery is now booked. What were they suggesting for treatment instead of surgery?

Is it just gentle persuasion from yourselves?

Regards

Steve

• Hi BL

I was Gleason 9 T3A N0 M0, so the tumour (only one as far as I know) was at the edge of the capsule but there were no mets visible on the bone scan or pelvic MRI. I was also told that there could be invisible cells floating about which could cause a problem later.

I was offered surgery or hormone treatment and radiotherapy. As I am 72 and still very active (rowing at least twice a week and attending aerobics classes twice a week) I chose the HT/RT path. The main reason for this was that I was told the surgery might lead to "stress incontinence" where I might "leak" when exercising and I didn't want to be coming back from a rowing outing with a wetsuit that smelled like a urinal! Also, being on HT for three years it's likely that those invisible microscopic floating cells (if they exist) will get zapped too.

Of course, there is the possibility of long term organ damage from the RT but, at 72, I didn't think that would be a problem.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thank you for your replies and to answer your questions, when seeing the surgeon he never mentioned surgery not now be the preferred route, just the fact it was a bit (or a lot more depends on your take) radical than the majority of prostatectomies and they can't guarantee there are not microscopic cells that have migrated.

Hubbies leaning towards surgery is based on his age (63) as it has a relative short recovery time (obviously not the incontinence) for getting back to work and he would then still have radiotherapy/hormone therapy/chemo available to him if it does manifesto somewhere else.

With radiotherapy and hormone therapy, at the diagnosis meeting, they said that it would be a minimum of 2-3 years on hormone therapy which could cause major fatigue, plus the radiotherapy would cause fatigue. He is already fatigued and his job is physical and involves a 20 mile drive to work and then involves more driving and operating dangerous machinery/nail guns. There is also the other side effects to be taken into account and the possible loss of affection for us is a big no no, more than the loss of penetrative sex and if he is one of the men that is badly affected, there was no reassurance that the therapy could be tweaked to help this.

He will also only get SSP for anytime off work. I am full time carer for my disabled parents, so me returning to work isn't an option and as we invested money (I haven't got a fortune invested but at this moment it is above the limit and to access it at this stage will mean I would get less returned than I invested) to give me an income until retirement age, we will be unable to get any help with anything. 

So at the moment his preferred route is still surgery, but we have got the meeting with the oncologist two days before surgery and he can still change his mind, but they want to start treatment asap, hence the quick surgery date.

We are very much open to all suggestions, people's experiences, advice etc as we feel the more information we can source the better decision we can reach, but never knew how involved Prostate Cancer is and the variables involved.

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.
  • I understand your argument, I must admit having the HT long term might put me off the RT.

I had RT without the HT and that was a lot simpler but I see the need for your OH to have the HT.

As u also say RT is there as back up if surgery is not a total success,  although beware of additional side effects . 

I am probably biased towards RT ,  but in your case I can see your reasons for surgery. 

All the best

Steve

• Thank you Steve. One thing we learnt very quickly is that there is no norm in Prostate Cancer and even the smallest variable can be a major game changer.

We are hopefully going over to an open support group at the Maggie's Centre at Addenbrooks this evening which is hosted by  post robotic surgery patients, so hoping to get lots of useful information from that as we really do want to chose the right option for us.

My one big worry is when we get the results at 6 weeks post op (Happy Christmas as they are due Christmas week) one or more lymph nodes show changes. Then the operation would have been in vain.

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.
  • Yes, if a node shows positive then the surgery would have been a waste.

When was the last Mri done, did that show up anything on the nodes?

• He will still need about 6 weeks off work with the surgery so if he was to take all the weeks off with the radiotherapy then it would be the same.  The best thing with fatigue is to just work through it.  I carried on exactly as I had before and am sure this helped - yes I probably did fall asleep watching TV at about 8 but heck I do that now.  I was hoping that one of the tests would have shown a little more clearly which treatment would have been best for your hubby but they rarely do.  Like Seamus my tumour was found to be on the edge of the prostate and they couldn't absolutely be certain that it hadn't migrated microscopically too so then an operation was right off the agenda which made things easier as I too was leaning to wards an operation even though it may have given me incontinence - that was something I could deal with.