abiraterone whats its supposed to do , peoples experiences ?

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

after having chemo and being on zoladex  during this period i had further spread to my spine and sternum !

all the time my psa dropped from 51 to 0.3 the onc was baffled as to why it had spread with such a low psa !

so it was decided to put me on abiraterone , interested to know how its performed for other people on here ? 

( gleason 9 5+4 ) with spread to pelvic lymph nodes spot on my pelvis and a rib low volume they said !

that was my intial diagnosis 7th january this yr 

• Hi 

I don't have any experiences of this drug to share with you but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies. This could be because the right person hasn't seen it yet but replying to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the page where it'll hopefully be seen again. I'm also tagging this group's Community Champion  into my reply as he may be able to help you further.

If you type 'abiraterone' into the search bar in this group it does bring up quite a few previous posts which mention it. You could have a look through these to see if the information you want is there and ask further questions of those who have posted in the past.

I have also found this information from Macmillan about abiraterone which tells you how it works and the common side effects you might experience.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Just read your  post.  My husband was put on the Stampede trial and was given abiraterone+ steroid in 2013.  His PSA was 150 and it dropped like a stone and after about a couple of months was 0.01 and has stayed there and it  is  6 years this Sept.  There are side effects, hot flushes and mood swings but he seems to have evened out now. Just thankful it is still working.  He also has the three monthly Prostap jabs as well.  His prostate cancer had just started to spread and he had a small area in his pelvic bones and lymph glands, he has not been offered any further scans since the initial MRI etc so we just assume it hasn't spread any further as he has no symptoms at present.  Good luck and hope you have success with the abiraterone,