Results Day

• 14 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Firstly, thank you all for putting up with all my ramblings and questions.

Here goes with my husband's results.                                      It is cancer and very aggressive with a Gleason score of 9 (4+5)

One of the tumours was 45% positive on the core Biopsies and the other showing 80% as positive.

Bone scan tomorrow and referral to Addenbrooks to discuss the options.

I'm sure I will be back with more questions, but just to add, the consultant told us that none of them expected these results as his PSA wasn't very raised, his prostate is on the small size!!

• I had exactly the same gleeson 9 PSA 11.9 radiotherapy at addenbrooks just waiting for results 

Ian
  • I was Gleason 4+5 and PSA of 15 by the time treatment started. I have been on Prostap injections for just over a year and completed 20 sessions of radiotherapy in February and March this year. The last two PSA tests have come back as <0.1 and I see the consultant again on Monday.

Be positive and I hope your treatment path is as successful as mine.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

My diagnosis was in 2013; Glieason 4+5 (9) and PSA 521 ! I was immediately put on Prostap,indefinitely. I have had the injections every 12 weeks since. This ( the first one ) brought my PSA down initially to 1 , from then on it hovered between 1 and 3 until a month ago when it rose to 6. Bicalimide was then added and almost immediately brought my PSA down to 1 where I hope it will stay.I trust that my journey will help to reassure you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Although the Gleason score is high, the treatment options still depend on whether the tumours are contained in the Prostate Gland.  Between them, the MRI and the bone scan should say.

What did the MRI say.?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

My husband has a gleason score of 9 and his psa is 19. He was diagnosed in June. Our consultant said his cancer is aggresive and has spread into nearby lymph node. He has had 1 months dose of Bicaltumide tablets and 1 injection of Zoladex. He has another 3 month injection on oct 24th. He has an appt tnis Thursday with oncologist. Bone scan clear. 

He may have to have chemo as he has Chrones disease and radiotherapy could irritate his bowel further. Its a worrying time. 

• Hi

Sprry about your husbands condition, this is a good place to have as you said a ramble, we like people who go on they tell us more of what is happening to your husband.

As I am a Gleason 9 as well I know how you feel, I have it in my bones have had for over three years now, try not to worry ( I know easy saying that ) but whatever the outcome of his scans, they can help one way or another. 
    chemotherapy is a devil at first but you get used to it, I have stomach problems to mallonic  pallinitis ( spelt that wrong ) plus lots of other things, my house is like a pharmacy, 

The main thing is to be always positive, that’s important if you have questions write them down for your next consultation, then write the answers down for the next time, because there’s always a next time.

Take care

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just to reiterate, the size of the tumours and the aggressiveness are not THE key factor in treatment options.  It's the spread.  If the tumours are confined to the gland then treatment options are varied.  If the cancer has broken through the prostate capsule or to a lymph node or to the skeleton,  it's a different matter.

It's a matter of waiting,  unfortunately.  If there's no spread your husband may be offered surgery or radiation. therapy.  In view of the gleason 9 short term adjuvant hormone therapy might be added.

It's probably a bit premature to be worrying about the consequences of treatment before the options are known.

• Thank you everyone for your replies.

We are back to the hospital for a whole body bone scan today and they have warned us that there may be another MRI scan or x-ray's as well.

We can ring our oncologist nurse tomorrow afternoon for the results,so will know much more then, but as hubby told them yesterday, he has lots of exciting things planned and still has lots of living to do, so let's get started and kick it's butt.

As a couple we are on this journey together. There is no I in team.
  • Hi Cotswolds,

If you don't mind me asking, have you made any diet/exercise/supplements changes? 

6 year's on Prostap only gives me hope 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gemma1234

When first diagnosed I thought my life would never be the same. After about a month, I decided that I would put the whole thing to the back of my mind and carry on. I haven’t changed a thing, nothing at all. However, i do get slightly concerned waiting for the PSA results. I have complete trust in both my Oncologist and Urologist, my theory being that they know rather more about this disease than I do. I see absolutely no point in getting stressed, I’m sure it does one no good at all.  ( apologies for all the “ I’s ). Trust that this is of some help and gives you confidence to just carry on.  Robert.