Recovering from 7 th Chemo ( Doxactel).

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi Alll.  It has been a week now since I had my 7 th brush with doxsactel.  No side effects to speak of.   Having to push a little harder to urinate, but once the flow is there there is no discomfort.  Eating we!!,  No trouble in the bowel department, touch wood.   Taking the medication, and monitoring myself, for temp, fluid intake, getting hot flushes now and then.  I   find a nice warm shower helps, but being careful accessing and stressing lightly drying down.haven't lost any hair, yet, but I didn't have a lot to start with, ha ha.  Kept my eye brows and eye lashes, so all in all, very pleased so far.  Decided to great myself to a gadget, as a treat , slip it on your finger and it gives you your blood pressure and heart rate as well as oxygen saturation levels, best £20.00p I ever spent.  3 more sessions to get through, then see the Oncologist again to get his take on what's happening and the way forward.  Hoping you All are coping with your individual treatments well. 

Best regards

• Glad all is going well Malcom.

Regards

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

Pleased all going well but I have to say you've been very lucky with the side effects (or relative lack of)...

I finished my 6 cycles of Docetaxel about 5 weeks ago - the first 4 were relatively ok - felt a bit tired and achy for a few days afterwards but not too bad - but the 5th was worse and the 6th resulted in me having to take 2 weeks off work - same side effects as 1 to 4 but much worse and they were much slower to resolve - having said that the side effects are much better than the result of having no treatment so shouldn't complain too much.

Hope your remaining treatments continue to go well.

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Kevin for your kind words. I have always tried to attain a Positive, Mental Attitude with this diagnosis. As I do with everything in life, I look at the situation, assess it, look at the outcomes, then prepare myself for the road ahead.  We are all different in physiology and says of coping with these.  I have found that doing research into what I have, helps me.  I am not a Doctor, who deals with this form of cancer, on an everyday basis.  What I mean is, I personally think that your health care professional, who I must say, they are worth their weight in Gold.  She or he sees patients on an everyday basis.  Different types of cancer, causing different problems.  Perhaps they become immune to the individual/s.   Not in a bad way, but not knowingly. Do you understand.   It's down to each and everyone of us, to accept what has been told to us.  You don't  have a choice in this matter.  Macmillan have done so much to bring us together providing a wealth of knowledge and ancillary help and support forums.  They hold the nucleus of our world together.   I am very aware that people coming on here for the first time it is very daunting for them, but there are so many lovely people on hear, offering advice, suggestions, and help not just on line but on the telephone aswell.  I have had the honour to come into contact with some of these Macmillan Nurses.  They are just absolutely fantastic.   I try on a daily basis, time allowing to read the blogs and if I can help, even just one person I certainly will, by either steering them or perhaps looking at something in a different way I will gladly do that, every day if I have to.  Just to know someone out there cares about them, helps them deal with, which is often a difficult situation, because 9 times out of 10, they are scared and it can be a lonely place for them. Macmillan you do more each day than any man or woman could.  For this, we all Thank You from the bottom of our hearts.  Take care Kevin. Speak again soon.

Best regards.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thanks Steve, will keep you in the frame.  How are you doing ?.  Getting hot sweats now, like having a sauna, without the electricity bill. Ha ha ha. Take care buddy.

Best regards.

• Hi Malcolm, nice of u to ask, doing ok thanks.

Re hot flushes,. Have u seen the previous thread titled Hot Flushes, Seamus talking about alternative remedies for HF, could be worth a go, let me know how u get on with them in case I ever need them

All the best

Steve

• Hi,  Glad to hear you are doing well.  Long may it continue.

Take care.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi 

It's good to read that you're doing OK with your chemo treatment.

I start my fourth session of Docetaxal soon, and I'm pleasantly surprised that I don't resemble the typical chemo patient that pops up in your minds eye when the oncologist says Chemotherapy.

So far the most noticeable side effect has been the loss of the hair on my head. I lost most of it, trimmed up what was left to make it look tidy, and it has since continued to grow. The eye lashes and eye brows survived, and the hair lost due to radiotherapy is growing back too. 

Despite the NHS's best efforts to rid me of my body hair, it's fighting back, unlike my cancer, it's loosing the battle. PSA now down to 0.2. WooHoo!