Moving so quickly

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 107 subscribers

Hi all 

I posted a few weeks ago so my hubby has been diagnosised with metastic prostrate cancer started hormone injections and prob chemo 3 weekly for a 18 cycle .has anyone else struggled with pain he has and we are with the community palliative team and the dr has been great keep upping his oralmorph but still there and especially on movement.He is very tired and sleeping a lot of the day he has a low hemogoblin level platelets level I suppose I am asking when treatment starts do people’s engery levels Improve we are only 5 weeks into diagnosis so everything still a bit overwhelming we know it’s not curable but I suppose I am surprise how quickly his health has deteriorated thanks for any advice 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Sunsarah, I'm sorry to hear about your Hubby.

It must be awful for you to have to observe how fast his health is deteriorating and you must very much want to help relieve his suffering at this time whilst having to deal with your own feelings.

I appreciate how helpless you may be feeling.

I can understand that  he may be very tired and sleepy and this might be a result of treatment.

I am not the best person to support you, so I am referring you to another member of the community who I believe can offer you more support.

My best wishes

Tim

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am so very sorry to hear about your husband. I am not a medic and it would be irresponsible for me to offer advice other than to suggest you call the Macmillan helpline and speak to one of the nurses there. The number is 0808 808 0000. It’s free and open seven days a week. 

You are going to need support too and it can really help to talk to others going through something similar. Have you joined the group supporting someone with incurable cancer? 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/nearing_the_end/

I have been through chemo several times and from my experience I would say that it can cause pain, especially in the long bones in the arms abs legs. My energy levels did not improve during treatment and in fact became worse as time went on. Low bloods can make you feel very tired and unwell. 

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thankyou for your replies and support 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sunsarah and HI to everyone else, So sorry to hear your hubby is not good my heart goes out to you.I cannot give you advice but to let you know you are not alone in this horrible situation. My hubby has also recently been diagnosed with secondary Prostate cancer after having his Prostate removed 14 years ago, he has always had a PSA trace which stayed below 2 but the last one in July was 35.7. It has spread to his hip bones,Pelvis and Sacroiliac joint and Lymph Nodes in his groin. He has started on Hormone therapy and he will start Palliative Chemo same as your hubby 6 cycles every 3 weeks for 18 weeks on 1st October, they have also put him forward for the Stampede drug trial, they said it is not a cure any of this treatment but to give him more time, how much we do not know. He has some discomfort but is able to carry on his daily life. We are coping well at the moment with the news but I am worried about when he starts Chemo and what the whole outcome will be, We know it's terminal but have not asked how long they think he has, I suppose we all just take one day at a time and try and cope with all the changes.