Advanced Prostate Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers
My husband, aged 78 yrs, was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in 0ctober 2017.  Further spread in 2018 and again in May 2019.  He is getting injection every three months plus all the usual hormone meds and a stronger steroid has just been prescribed.    He has been pain free up until 6 weeks ago.  Terrible groin/leg pain.  Xrays showing arthritis but had MRI yesterday ...they say to rule out bone cancer.  We will know for sure in about three weeks.   Oncologist gave him tramadol for pain but although helping, not taking pain away.   His cancer has spread to his humerus, ribs, pelvic area and lymph nodes.
My instinctive feeling is that this pain is the bone cancer although oncologist told me that that not every pain is down to the cancer.  Whilst that may be true, I’m worried that we are now on a slippery slope.   
Signature
Hashe
  • Hi H

Sorry to hear of your situation.

I don't know too much about bone Mets but if it's spread to numerous areas it does make things more difficult.

Of course the oncologist is correct and not all bone pain will be attributable to the PC. At 78 you are going to have some other aches and pains.

Sometimes they can offer radiotherapy to treat certain areas which can help with the pain, has this been talked about?

Perhaps others will post with their own experience of bone Mets/pain

Regards

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi ... thanks for your reply.

He had radiotherapy at the beginning, before it spread outside the prostate but it’s not been offered for pain at the moment.  Yesterday his doctor upped the dosage of tramodil from 3 a day to 8.  We’ll see how he goes with that.  I would really like to hear of other people’s experience with mets/pain.

Regards

Hashe