End of treatment

• 10 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Last year at about this time got told my PSA was up so started one of the most important journeys of my life sadly a journey my brother never completed 18 years ago. Got appointment for Ultra scan waited a few weeks got told there had been a mix up doctor/receptionists had requested rescan on shoulder injury eventually sorted in zoster May got tested at hospital for cancer results Gleason score of 9 aggressive. Decided very early on that I wanted radiotherapy so started 9months of HT had brachytherapy in February and just finished 15 sessions of radiotherapy on Thursday last week,only side effects so far has been excessive wind and urge to constantly open bowels with no or little results. Feeling quite well all things considered taking short frequent walks doing diy at a slower pace and leading quite normal life. Feel very lucky considering the alternative next visit to hospital in 6 months got to continue HT for at least 18 months now feel I am on the road to recovery and that's a wonderful feeling. Good luck to all who are starting there journey if you get treated the way I did at Christies in Manchester you will be in excellent and caring hands. Off out now dogs getting impatient for our walk together. 

• That's good news Not4me, you've been thru it all what with bracci, RT and the continuing HT,  All u have to worry about now is the follow up psa's which looks like it continues for years to come. I finished my RT 2 years ago, all looks ok but I do dread the now yearly psa test.

Best of luck for the future

Steve

• Thanks Steve I hope all goes well for you as you know it’s not a journey of choice but one we are all made to make. I only put my story on for others who are just stating there journey and let them know that there are people on here they can relate to and they are not the only one travelling along this pathway we are all companions together and that help is here for them I have used the experience of others on here to help me along the way.

• It's wonderful to see that you are so positive about the future. I finished 20 sessions of RT five weeks ago today and am feeling great too. The first week after RT was beset with bowel and bladder problems and I was very tired, but it soon wore off and I am now back rowing and attending a weekly aerobics class which I have never done before, but am really enjoying. I think getting past the treatment stage gives one a whole new outlook on life.

My next appointment is in early June and I will need a PSA test a week before. That week, whilst waiting for the result, will probably be quite stressful. I am also on hormone treatment for at least another 18 months.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thanks for the update NotForMe.

Best wishes going forward.

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Good stuff NotForMe.  Hang on in there.

• Know what you mean I feel as tho I have a spring in my step looking further down the road into the future.

• Yes, I'm trying to be positive too. My 20 sessions finished 1 February and I too had bowel and bladder problems which mostly passed. I did not have ht but will probably always have bowel problems following the removal of a large chunk just over 5 years ago. My first PSA test will be mid June and I'll no doubt stress over that as I did every CEA test etc for the bowel cancer. But I don't think the PC is anything like as serious as the bc was. CEA, bc, PSA, PC, ht - it's almost another language!

Best of luck. It will be interesting to compare notes as time passes. 

• You too have been through the mill and it's good to see you being so positive hope you don't stress your self out too much but that's easy for me to say as I am not due a test till late September so have a long time to put it to the back of my mind. Keep positive and carry on letting us know how your going on. 

• Root canal work next Monday. Something different. (Lol.) Grin

• Ok, let me guess, appointment at tooth thirty again