my prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 32 replies
  • 108 subscribers

im  70 been healthy most my life,, had 2 psa test verry high,,had mri showing dark area 50%

biopsy 3 dasy time docter high risk of cancer...

like to here from any one had prostate caner in early stages  and how it affect ther life

thanks

nick

• Hi Nick

What was your psa and Gleason scores and did they offer any hormone therapy? There are plenty of people on here who will help so keep watching as replies will come.

take care

jor

• Hi Nick,

You do not say what your PSA is and what your Gleason Score and T scores are.  I think you said your biopsy was to be in 3 days time so it will be a while before you get your scores but once you do then post them here and we will be able to advise you more.

I was 72 at diagnosis.  My PSA was 12.9. Gleason Score was 7(3+4) and T score was T2 though T3 could not be ruled out.  As the tumour was close to the margin of the prostate and may have been about to break out and possibly spread I was put on Hormone Therapy for 9 months and a month, 20 sessions of radiotherapy.  I did have fatigue and hot flushes from the Hormone Therapy but this was manageable and did not affect my normal life at all.  I continued to do everything all the way through the treatment time including going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week - this definitely helped with the fatigue.  The hot flushes were nothing much and to be honest were not as bad as the ones my wife gets and I really didn't notice them until they gradually disappeared within 6 months after I stopped HT.  I along with the brother of a friend of mine found that our hair grew more and thicker - unfortunately this also disappeared once HT was stopped.  Also due to continuing with normal exercise I didn't get any muscle wastage.  The radiotherapy was a breeze - an inconvenience more than anything else.  Not everyone has the same experience of course because we are all different but I am a firm believer in being proactive and doing everything to help myself from getting information to exercise and diet and keeping a positive attitude.  I finished my radiotherapy at the end of January 2017 so just over 2 years ago and my PSA has been undetectable ever since.  So as suggested by the consultant from the outset a probable cure.  Now it is as though I never had cancer and my life is totally back to normal - though I am nearly 3 years older, have just been sucessfully treated for a heart condition which caused more havoc than the prostate cancer and need a new knee.  All this far worse than anything to do with the prostate cancer.

Take care and keep in touch.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

best of luck with your treatment

my psa where 8.0    2no      having biopsy tue so no gleason count yet

are biopsys safe  bactirial in fection ? aggravating cancer cells ?

thanks for your coments

nick 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

sound like you been through ,it,,

my psa 2no  where 8.0    MRI showing lots of black,,, biopsy due tue

so no gleason counts yet

are biopsys safe... re bactirial infection aggravatingng cancer cells ??

take care

nick

• Hi Scottie

Psa of 8 is not particularly high, hopefully the Gleeson will come back 6 or 7 which would indicate a low grade cancer which would be curable with the right treatment.

Biopsies are safe, the risk of infection is there but u are given antibiotics to help with that.

I asked the question many times about biopsy aggravating (spreading) the cancer cells, I was assured that it doesn't happen.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

best of luck with your treatment

my  Psa was 8.0   2no times mris showed 50% dark

biopsy booked for tomorrow

all the best

thanks for your reply

nick

• FormerMember

hi des,

glad to hear of happy ending to your long journey

i had 2no psa 8.0 mri showing lot of 50%  dark

fuson biopsy tomorrow

start of my journey

will try to keep touch (new to online community)

thanks fo your reply

nick

• FormerMember

hi des,

glad to hear of happy ending to your long journey

i had 2no psa 8.0 mri showing lot of 50%  dark

fuson biopsy tomorrow

start of my journey

will try to keep touch (new to online community)

thanks fo your reply

nick

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

hi steave.

hope you are ok ?

thanks for your reply and info,,, all helps

fusion biopsy tomorrow, then have to wait for results

nick

• FormerMember

hi des

had 19 shots to the postate, today

hard dealing with thing up you know where,,, nearly stoped !

how are you at the moment

nick