Nanoknife (IRE) prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 48 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hello,

I am looking for folks that chose nanoknife as their treatment and are willing to share their experiences. What were your side effects? How long have you done the treatment? 
Thank you
  • Hello Jay4566, I haven't had or will have nanoknife treatment so I'm just bumping you back up the group as I see you haven't had any replies. I don't think many have had nanoknife treatment yet.

Could you maybe also add more detail about your PSA, biopsy results, Scan results, options offered?

It might help someone answer your question.

Best wishes,

Ian

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello jay

I had the nanonife treatment in February of this year. Procedure was carried out at princess grace hospital London. 

My psa was at 17 and I’d had psma scan and a guided biopsy. 

Gleason was 3+4  7 

Tonight I go for my first psa blood test since procedure was done. so I as yet have no info on my position.

The actual procedure was easy as you are under full anaesthetic.  For me the worst bit was having a catheter in place for the first 3 days. Once this was removed I had full bladder control and everything is 100% normal. 

I will let you and everyone else know my psa result when I get them back next week. 

Cheers for now. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Nano-knife or irreversible electroporation is a procedure that was trialled on the NHS but not continued with as the outcomes were “inconclusive”.

If you have a small tumour completely confined within your prostate capsule and have around twenty grand to spend (or health insurance), I would say it’s definitely worth a punt, as the side-effects are minimal and having had it doesn’t preclude any subsequent treatments.

There are very few clinics that offer this in Europe. Professor Emberton in London springs to mind.

Fingers crossed for your PSA result, Glasgow.

Cheers, John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jay

Had nanoknife last october in offenbach near frankfurt

They have done over 600 procedures and seem to have good results 

I had   Gleason 3+4. Tumour near edge of prostate. Psa 16

Just had second psa test back 0.8. 

No side effects other than urine stream is stronger than before

Feel great at the moment. Will get psa every 3 months. 

Cost 16000 Euro

Hope that helps

Cheers

Pete

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jay and others out there on the prostate nanoknife journey.  I'm new to this site, which is great thankyou to all involved.  Im 60, from Australia and was diagnosed with PC earlier this year, 3+4 (7), PIRADS 5, PSA 13 (up from 9 six months earlier) large tumor bordering the right side for some distance but still 'inside the castle' - throw in some BPH with all that.  To cut a long story short, I was not prepared to have surgery, went on a serious doctor shopping spree, was steered by "well meaning" urologists away from radiation and decided on nanoknife.  I was refused in both Sydney and Princess Grace Hospital, London as the the tumor was too large so had my procedure in Offenbach, Germany in April.

I was very impressed with the knowledge and professionalism at Offenbach and think its expensive but worthwhile.  There are some issues / problems to know and overcome however, which Im happy to discuss privately.  To cut another long story short, the waterworks were blocked due to the tumor being ablated, I had two urinary retention incidents in Germany (not pleasant to say the least!), came home with a cathater still in place and had a TURP immediately on my return to unblock things - the whole process resulted in having a catather for 5 weeks from start to finish so needless to say, I was very over it!!  All is good after the procedures (continence and erectile functions perfect) and now Im peeing like a racehorse. 

My big issue now is know where I'm at and how successful the German procedure was when I get an MRI and PSA test at 3 months, which will be mid July - here's hoping.  Has anyone got any comments or information to share on follow up testing / care from the Offenbach centre nanoknife procedure?

As an aside, I feel really good and am convinced a vegan and anti-inflamatory diet I have been on all year is helping me a lot (I have altered by PH from an acidic 6 to alkaline 7 - 7.5 in 5 months).  Good luck to everyone out there, my thoughts are with you all.  

Grant

• Hi  Grant,

Very interested to hear your story,I went to Offenbach in April- diagnosed Feb this year PSA 21 Gleason 8- 4+4,- local advanced, Like yourself ,generally impressed with Prof Stehling + set up .Had 2 scans-:MIR + endorectal,and PSMA pet scan( gallium 68 tracer) at Wiesbaden.He has suggested 3 months hormones,- bicalutamide tablets, wiith monthly PSA check, + reporting scores back to Germany. 1st PSA score after 4weeks, 3.5, from 21.Dont know what criteria is before possible treatment.- am finding out. My concerns are to get more info regarding treatment outcomes at my stage. As you say, most treatments I've heard about have been stage2-- at Princess Grace or Germany.

Best regards,Les

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Foxy1

Hi All

I'm in similar territory to Les and Grant, somewhere between the two. I'm going to Offenbach in ten days' time, against the express advice of my oncologist here in Dublin. He does not dismiss the value of IRE, but is not happy about its use at my Stage.

I'm Gleason 4+4=8, T2, localised but bursting through capsule now.

PSA on diagnosis in May 2017 was 7.28, up from 5.87 six weeks earlier. Now, 12 months on, I'm at 11.6.

I travelled to Germany last week and met Prof. Stehling, who I found generous with his time and his opinions, without being pushy. He thinks I don't need hormones to shrink the prostate in advance, and is hopeful that the location (left and mid) will allow him to operate without causing long-term ED issues. 

Grant, I'm interested in the urinary retention issues you suffered, and why. Also, to know why you think the diet is important in this regard? I'll contact you privately too to discuss the "other issues to know and overcome", as you suggest.

Good luck all - I very much hope I'm right and not wrong to reject (after VERY careful consideration) my consultant's advice.

- Cillian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Grant

I can't see how to message you privately, but am interested in learning more about the other issues you mention above. I'm heading to Offenbach in two weeks for treatment of a Gl.8, localised.

Thanks

Cillian

• Hi Springchicken

I don't wont to come across as sounding pessimistic but u are about to spend a whole lot of money on something where from what I have read Nanoknife is more for small early tumours.

If yours is about to burst through u could be better of with RT.

This is one of those occasions where it could be worth getting another opinion.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response.

You're right, that it is best and easiest to achieve results on lower-grade cancers, and the only place using IRE on >Gl.7 is Offenbach. I've done a lot of research. Read a lot. Talked to my own doctors and also independent medics who took the time to read some of the heavy literature and offer me their opinion. I read personal accounts on here and spoke directly to one patient who had a Gl.7 treated with Nanoknife IRE.

I travelled to Germany and spoke to Prof Stehling about Nanoknife/IRE. I spoke to another expert surgeon about what his robotic surgery would offer.

The conclusion I reached is that Nanoknife buys me time. 

Prof. Stehlings diagnostics will identify the target areas. The treatment will removed the worst of it. If some remains, my options remain open in future. Whereas, if I opt now for radical prostatectomy (as recommended by both my surgeon and my radiologist), then radio is the only next step available. Then begins the whole messy slide into lifelong debilitating bowel problems.

I'm only 54.

If I've to revisit these choices in five years, who knows what new treatments may be emerging. 

So I am taking a risk, but it's calculated and I'm not being foolhardy. I even compiled a little chart for myself, listing the pro's and cons. 

So, here's hoping ...

NANOKNIFE/IRE – Prof. Stehling

DA VINCI ROBOTIC

ADVANTAGE

• Buys time, new techniques to arrive in coming years
    • Promises fewer side effects – incontinence, erectile dysfunction
    • IRE possible again, later
    • All other treatments remain possible
    • Outcomes similar to surgery, lifestyle better

ADVANTAGE

• Accepted, clinically trialled
    • Prostate removal prevents any spread from this source.
    • Intra-operative lymph node biopsy
    • PSA-based follow-up
    • Additional therapies (radio, HIFU) possible later
    • Surgery has improved immensely

DISADVANTAGE

• Not clinically trialled.
    • Risks associated with leaving prostate in situ
    • Gleason 8 treatment is at the very boundaries of this technology

DISADVANTAGE

• Next stage is radiotherapy, with very serious internal side-effects
    • Vascular bundle nerves will be damaged due to extra-capsular – ED resulting
    • 2% risk of incontinence
    • Certainty of change in orgasm
    • Potential change in libido
    • Penis-shortening (“low risk”)

RECURRENCE RATE

• Gleason >7 (i.e. 8 and above)

75% recurrence-free at 60 months (what if extra-capsular, as I am?)

RECURRENCE RATE

• Quotes a 90% chance of a ‘complete’ treatment (no return)   … BUT …
    • 20% recurrence of extra-capsular cases (i.e. me) (so reduces to 80% recur-free)

INCONTINENCE

• 0% reported

INCONTINENCE

• 98% regain full continence

ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION

• 90-95% recover function

ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION

• 80% of patients recover ‘function’

NOTES

• Hormone therapy to shrink gland - unlikely to need
    • Index lesion, not the gland, is ‘the motor that drives the disease’
    • Based on scans, no ED expected
    • “not sure there is any treatment on the market that will have a significant impact on your survival” (i.e. outcomes between Da Vinci and Nanoknife differ little – quality of life in interim does)
    • Surgeons have no plan for a recurrence
    • Extra-cap, high risk of disease progress

NOTES

• 20% patients with aggressive discovered to be worse than thought, in surgery
    • 20% discovered to be not as bad as
    • Will attempt to save both bundles
    • ‘Frozen section’ treatment of lymph nodes (biopsy of removed tissue, during op)