PC RT and lower back pain?

• 18 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi all,

So, I just finished my 20 RT fractions for my PC and that (as such processes go) went very well (procedurally, time will tell re outcome etc), mostly because of the attention / care / flexibility / attitude of the all staff.

Because you need to get all 3 cherries in a row (full bladder, empty bowel, no wind) and at the time of your appointment, most of the RT staff had to be like those you see spinning several plates on sticks, dealing with us patients and keeping the RT machines as busy as possible. ;-)

But I do have one question and that is around the end of my treatment I found I had quite a bit of 'discomfort' in my lower back, possibly kidneys, possibly my left hip that seems to be taking it's time to go away and is most likely (?) to be a pulled muscle or aching joint or some such, rather than a side effect of the RT itself? I can't remember doing anything likely to cause a pulled muscle but I know it can sometimes be the 'silly things' that can catch us out. Turning in the shower rather than mixing up cement etc.

I did run it past one of the TR's and they didn't seem to think there was a link but I just thought I'd ask here in case it was a 'known' side effect in some possibly rare cases?

I was thinking along the lines that IF the spinal cord is also 'hit' with the beam therapy, could that be aggravated etc <shrug>?

Cheers ...

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read about the discomfort you're in.

I can't help with your question, as I'm not a member of this forum, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Good morning  

Good news that the RT has finished but not such good news about the lower back pain. Remember, we are no experts but I think it extremely unlikely that the RT would have been allowed to affect the spinal cord as the machines are programmed to stop if they detect any unusual movement and the physicist would have ensured that vital organs are spared. Interesting that you have mentioned the kidney area - does the pain radiate round to the side waist area? Have you checked to see if you have a UTI as the RT can irritate the urinary tract and trigger it. Hope you get sorted soon but do check with your doctor.

• I'm sorry to read about the discomfort you're in.

Thank you for that. If connected to the RT the 'shame' is that ignoring the 'holding on' to a full bladder, the whole process was pretty painless.

Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Thanks.

it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying

Yeah, I really should, just that I hate admin ... ;-)

Cheers

• Remember, we are no experts but I think it extremely unlikely that the RT would have been allowed to affect the spinal cord

No, that was my thought / hope (if it was powerful enough to disrupt cancer cells it has to be powerful enough to disrupt good (and especially sensitive) cells, if allowed to), it would be kept away from such places.

As an 'engineering type' I was pleased to find quite a bit of info about the Halcyon Linac RT machine I was treated in. I see the mechanical world like an exploded diagram and was nearly press-ganged into trying to fix it the few times it went wrong. ;-)

Interesting that you have mentioned the kidney area - does the pain radiate round to the side waist area?

Erm, I know how to fix machines!

FWIW, it generally only tends to (still) hurt when I move?

Cheers

• More likely to be mechanical then. Do painkillers ease it?

• Good morning, I hope.

Disclaimer - I have absolutely no medical knowledge and, whilst planned for radiotherapy, I am some months away from that.

I have had back problems for years though, as a sufferer, and have had, and still get, problems similar to your own, except down the right side.

My problems have centred around herniated disks and the aftermath. You haven't yet had one of those, because the pain is quite serious and unmistakeable.

It might be that the contortions you have been getting into during the RT sessions have bent something a little out of shape.

It is so easy to do. In my case I have triggered a herniated disk by sneezing, by bending down without thinking, and by getting out of a car without a thought. It took me over 6 months to get full mobility back on the last one.

As you can imagine, I now pay careful attention to pain in my back.

I get symptoms like those describe when I walk too far without warming up first (I also have arthritis in my right ankle which occasionally makes walking a bit funny).
    That's when I know to stop.

I guess the only way to tick all the boxes is to talk to the RT team first, get a test for a UTI, and have a word with your GP.

If the GP diagnoses a possible back problem, then you might also want to see a chiropractor or osteopath, who might be able to be clearer about what you can do about it.

Hope it works out without the excruciating pain element.

Sunglasses

• Hi again,

Erm, I've not taken any painkillers yet as I try to manage it by not 'pushing it' and prefer to not take them unless desperate for fear of them 'masking' the pain and therefore maybe allowing me to make matters worse (if mechanical etc)?

FWIW, I've since found this:

... but I don't know if the sections 'Problems with your bones' and 'Low levels of vitamin B12' are only 'Long Term' or could also be short term?

• Good morning, I hope.

Good morning to you and yes, I think it is a good morning as I'm still here and hope that after my HT/RT I might be here a bit longer than I might otherwise. ;-)

It might be that the contortions you have been getting into during the RT sessions have bent something a little out of shape.

That was suggested as a possible cause by the RT team and whilst I can't rule it out, it's not unusual to find me working under a car and whilst I do often get the odd ache the next day from doing so, it's 1) normally linked (in my arms if I've been doing arm related stuff) and 2) gone pretty quickly?

I can also push my Mrs ~5 miles around the local park / towpath and again, might only 'feel it' in my arms the first thing the next day?

<shrug>

• You are much fitter than me!

The thing about back pain in me is that it is not the usual things I do that cause a problem.

So, most of the time walking will be fine. However, if I am just walking along and my right foot gives way under me, it changes my gait from the usual to weird. That's when I get the problems in my back.

I can lift, shove my daughter in her wheelchair, paint, dig etc. but one additional, unusual, and small thing and I can be in trouble.

If, as  suggested, the problem is mechanical, then you may have some difficulty finding out what causes it.

• Don't think of it as admin but as telling your 'story' Wink

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"