Good news (I think)

• 11 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Yesterday I had results of my latest PSA test.  To recap, diagnosed in early 2017 with PSA 74, G9, T3bN1M0.  Had Chemo x4, RT x37 and on Zoladex.

Since then PSA went down As follows

2018 - 2022   0.1  (readings only given to 1 decimal place in those days).

April 2023   0.2

July 2023   0.3

Oct 2023   0.56

Jan 2024   1.19

April 2024 1.43

I was expecting a call from my oncologist as part of the 3 monthly review, but instead the CNS called (always a good sign I think).  My PSA is now 1.69 which leaves a bit of a dilemma.  They were assuming that I would be over 2.0 and I would automatically reach the criteria for Darolutamide to be prescribed.

As the PSA is still rising, there is an increasing risk of mets, so the view has been taken that I should go onto Darolutamide anyway.  In the view of the CNS ‘it is a well tolerated drug’, but if I have problems, then still got more options in the cupboard!  It is a judgement call as to how long to leave a rising PSA against the risk of mets.  This option should give me a bit more time.

So CT scan next to check no obvious mets and then Darolutamide.  No point in doing a PET at present as if minor mets found then still same treatment. Sounds like a plan to me.  Stress levels back to near normal and off we go again!  If anyone out there is on Zoladex and Darolutamide I would be interested to hear how you are doing.

Onward and upward, David

• Hi  , good to see you back and hope Cyprus was fab.  Thanks for your update.  
    I got an email from the CNS today and following my questions to the oncologist she is now recommending a PSMA PET and hold off Darolutamide for 3 months.  This is a small risk but if no mets gives a slightly prolonged survival projection.  If small mets are found we can think about an attack on them or if larger mets then same treatment as if CT had been used.  I have accepted this plan and can start thinking about some holidays again.  Best wishes, David