Removal of prostate v radium

• 10 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Was diagnosed beginning of June with a gleason score of 4+3 -7 and a PSA of 12.9 I am currently 60 years old

Due to have the prostate removed this Friday and terrified and not sure I have made the correct decision as not looking forward to all the side effects I have read about.not sure if the radium treatment may be a better choice.

Heads all over the place

• Hi Wash.

Good afternoon it's great to meet you today sorry that it's under these circumstances my friend.

Yes I am now just over 12mnts in to my prostate cancer journey. Unfortunately my cancer had already spread out of my prostate so I had to be put on to Hormone Therapy injections and tablets.

My PSA was 1000+ upon diagnosis but it now stands at 1.79 which is crazy.

I'm very grateful to my consultant who put me on this treatment routine which has worked better than I would have anticipated in the beginning.

I must also thank everyone here for their help and support to date. 

You will find many people who have been in your shoes who will be in touch shortly.

They will be able to offer you there experience's off having their prostates removed and the implications of what happened following.

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi Wash

Not everyone who has surgery has major issues but ED can be a problem, a lot depends how good the surgeon is on saving nearby nerves.

There is one plus to having surgery, if cancer does return then Radiotherapy is still an option but very difficult the other way round, surgery after Radiotherapy.

You are only a few days away so possibly stick with it although if u are particularly uneasy about it

u could delay it or cancel it 

Trouble with that is, more thinking which certainly doesn't help.

See what others say and good luck with whatever choice u go for

Steve 

• One other thing, u don't give all your stats I'm presuming cancer still contained in the gland, no spread, so in theory that does give u more time

Steve 

• Hi Mate I  am 60yrs had a radical proscetomy in may this year had t2 Gleason 3,4 psa 6.7  the surgery went well whatever way you go the fatigue will hit you afterwards and must rest it's not often discussed but due to hormones , I had a catheter for a week have pads as a back up at present I am just grateful it's clear and will work on the rest just give yourself time . My wife has been a great support and we talk alot that's important for feelings I sleep alot in the afternoon at present I feel it's the better option we took .

• Hi Wash and welcome to the club. Like you I was a Gleason 4+3 and had my surgery over 4 months ago.

Although none of us want cancer, we are lucky that it has been found in time to treat and hopefully provide a good outcome. The main side effects are incontinence - I am now fully continent with no issues at all - and ED - there is currently enough steam for some very limited fun which may or may not improve. It’s certainly enough for me to be alive and happy. 
    You need to be doing pelvic floor excercise  before and after your op but not while catheter is in place - this will help you regain continence. 
    Try not to worry - I know it’s difficult but hundreds of people like me go through this and feel so fortunate when it’s all over. 
    Best of luck with your recovery and ask any questions you have on this forum rather than Google which is full of rubbish. 

• With your numbers , I think you would be offered ( possibly one you can’t refuse ) androgen deprivation ( hormone) therapy before radiotherapy . Probably for 6 months .That was what made my decision for surgery ( same numbers as you ) . Went very well ( 3 years )

• Hi Wash 

I was diagnosed late April same  scores as you  but with PSA level of 17 .

i have chosen the surgery route but , after doing so am now questioning it to some extent . I think the main reason for this is the wait . I still do not have a surgery date and am now worried over spread due to the time lapse . At least you are not having the extended wait . 

I am likely to stick with it on the basis of not wanting a diseased organ in my body and getting one chance to get rid  . I do struggle with understanding how outcomes for both alternatives can be the same but those are  the facts 

Questioning the choice is entirely understandable given the respective outcomes

you must have analysed the options  when making your choice and there is no reason why your conclusions are not still valid . 

best of luck with the op .  

• Hi Magpie. I was diagnosed last November and my op was in March this year. If you are concerned (I know the endless waiting is really draining) you could contact the PALS team at your hospital and ask them to help in providing you with a date? I found them helpful when I had similar concerns. At least it feels like you’re doing something.

• Thanks Amnesiac 

my GP cancer care coordinator is at the hospital tomorrow. She knows the surgeon well and is going to contact him directly  . 

• Hi Wash, and welcome to the forum, I do not know if surgery is the right treatment for you, though from the information you have provided I would say you have a few options, but can say radium223 is not and hopefully will never be for you, best wishes.

Eddie