Ht/ radiation

• 27 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Hi all can I ask if I decide to have ht/radiation they have told me 6 x months hormone treatment  3 x months before then  3 x months on going i am gleason 3+4 and localised in prostate  i  have read the side effects for hormone treatment but some people have it for 12 x months or for years what side effects am i likely to have if i only have it for 6 x months in that time am i likely to put weight on / hot sweats / grow boobs or is that more long term hormone treatment. !!

• Hello  

Hormone Therapy affects us all in a different way. I have been on it over 30 months and think I have had every side effect going. I have managed them without any changes to my day to day life and just got on with life - They are an inconvenience at most.

I would think in your case on in it for 6 months only you are more than likely to suffer from fatigue, ED and possible hot sweats and a little weight gain. The thing is we don't get them all and it's a little inconvenience for a "Curative Pathway".

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  ,

My oncologist has offered me almost exactly the same treatment plan, which I have started on, but not very far in at the moment.

So far so good.

I don't think anyone can predict exactly what side effects we will each have. All the research I have done suggests that it all depends on how the body reacts to the treatment.

So, if your body has it in for you, you could get them all.

If your body reacts another way, then you might get none.

The truth, for you and me, is almost certainly somewhere between the two.

This web page - https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/living-with-prostate-cancer/how-hormone-therapy-affects-you - which I looked at when my treatment was going to start, both scared the willies out of me AND was comforting.

What I took from it was that although I might have some or all the side effects, there was something I could do about each one. I was very unlikely to have them all, and some at least might come on, and then fade away.

My full treatment plan is 6 months of hormone therapy, followed by 7.5 weeks of radiotherapy (the hormone therapy continues), followed by a further 2 years of hormone therapy. 

The side effects of all of that seem horrible, but I have watched other people deal with worse, so I have a good level of confidence that I, too, can deal with this.

In answer to the bottom line question - "Is it better than dead?" - I came up with "Yes".

I have a very large number of politicians still to annoy......

• Hi  

Like so many others on this forum I have been in the same situation as you, you can follow my journey by reading my profile, just click the icon beside my name.

I have been on HT (Prostap) since September 2023 and am due to start my RT in two weeks time, on the 18th July. That is scheduled for 20 fractions (every week day for four weeks), my consultant Prof. Gollins indicated that I would be on HT for a further six months after the RT ends. That I suspect will depend on PSA figures as that time progresses.

From what others on here say I am quite lucky as a reasonably fit 75 years old, my side effects of the HT are ED, loss of libido and sweats. I have put on a very small amount of extra weight and have had no noticeable fatigue or boobs. 

In the mean time I am enjoying the last couple of weeks of a four week holiday touring France with my wife who is the most supportive and understanding person I could ever wish to know.

Rod

• Thanks for the replys really helpful and good luck on your journeys i am still undecided surgery or radiation + hormones but will get there eventually

• My full treatment plan is 6 months of hormone therapy, followed by 7.5 weeks of radiotherapy (the hormone therapy continues), followed by a further 2 years of hormone therapy. 

I had a similar prediction for length of hormone therapy.  However, this may change if your body deals with it particularly well and your PSA reaches very low levels after radiotherapy. My initial estimation was for 3 years HT.  My consultant is already talking it down to 18 months - 2 years. 
    AW

• Hi Osca - what was your Gleason score ?  I can’t see it on your profile.  Gleason score is King.   AW

• At the moment I seem to be dealing well with the HT, although this is early days.

The only thing that keeps popping to mind is that I don't feel as if I am DOING anything.

Just living life as normal whilst waiting for the next injection seems odd.

If that's all I have to worry about, that will be great.

• Similar to AW, my husband was initially told 2-3 years for HT. this was then cut to 6 months and then upped to 18 months! We were told that there is firm evidence underpinning the length of time for HT for both lower risk and higher risk cancer but less evidence for the ‘in between’. My husband eventually did 18 months - finishing in May this year. As he has other health problems bearing down on him, he was at a very low ebb and needed a break..

• I had to ask for my Gleeson score and when I did I was told that they no longer use it specifically as a measure. Being on holiday I don't have all my notes with me but it was either 3-4 or 4-3 either way total 7 I also have the other figures back at home. When I'm back I will have a look at the notes that I have and post them in my profile.

I find our hospital very reluctant to put anything in writing, they can't even respond properly to written complaints but that's another story nothing to do with my PC.

• Good luck with your RT - completed mine almost 5 weeks ago.   Feel like a new man Sweat smileMuscle

Geoff S

We`ve Got This!