Wide awake

• 23 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Morning all as you can see I am wide awake so thought I would write a few words, I joined the dreaded Chemo journey along with you other brave souls on Tuesday this week, after a relatively  trouble free 6 hour session ( there was a delay as bloods came back with a marker from my liver and it was suggested the Consultant may have to change the dose ) I had the intravenous Chemo and have the Oral one to take at home, I had my third Hormone injection last Friday just prior to starting Chemo, the first side effect to ambush me unawares was the swelling in my feet which appeared almost over night they had swollen slightly after the first injection but not to the extent where my Daughter rang the doctor who had since prescribed some sort of medication to help get rid of the swelling by me weeing it out I am guessing, the other side effect to rear it’s ugly head is my sleep or serious lack of it, I am in the spare room at present kitted out with everything I need to be comfortable and I am finding it almost impossible to sleep, I get up at five when my wife gets up to go to work bless her ( we are trying to live our normal lives and her job at the local hospital gets her away from Mr Grumpy for six hours ) I dully take the endless round of medicines prescribed have a cup of tea then settle down to watch some mundane TV, I sometimes fall asleep for what seems a few minutes then am wide awake, this pattern repeats itself most of the day, the weather has been good enough to do some of my napping outside in the fresh air, also my toilet habits seem very disrupted, I have to take a mild laxative morning and evening as my Prostate Cancer is pushing through into my rectum and causing an issue passing stools so this does not help, no major issues as yet with any other side effects but the sleep issue is causing me some concern, any feedback would be most welcome from you most courageous experienced folk who are fighting the good fight, I really do appreciate any input, experiences and advice, it will help elevate some of my many concerns and help me along this most challenging journey, I do thank you all for taking time out to read my rather elongated post but please bear with me as I have only just joined this elite bad of warriors, and all this written on my phone, again many thanks. 

• Hello again  

Sorry that you have missed out on your holiday in Spain as your chemotherapy has started but hopefully something to aim for when everything has settled down. 

It sounds as if the swelling in the feet is being treated with diuretics to make you wee more to get rid of the fluid. The chemotherapy may make this worse as the body tries to get rid of the dying cancer cells. The normal recommendation initially is to keep your legs elevated when sitting down but also not to sit for extended periods and try to move around.

The insomnia is an issue with many causes. If it has only come on with the start of the chemotherapy then it is probably from the steroids which are given alongside the chemo to help reduce side effects. If you feel yourself drifting off during the day then get up and have a wander around otherwise your body will get into a routine which is self perpetuating. Once your body has got used to the steroids things may settle down but do not stop or change the dose without speaking to your medical team or you could suffer from withdrawal symptoms. Let your medical team know of the insomnia and they should give you more guidance.

Stress and anxiety is another possible cause of insomnia, as is having to get up to go to the toilet more in the night.

Things which can help with insomnia are reducing caffeine, particularly in the afternoon and evening. Avoiding alcohol. Don't eat late. 

Glad that you have not had any bad side effects so far from your chemotherapy on Tuesday and long may it continue. Keep a diary of anything you experience as we found that each cycle followed a similar pattern and it allowed us to plan for good days and let hubby rest on bad days. Make sure that you tell the team about all your side effects before the next session as they may need to adjust medication to ensure that you have a good quality life during treatment. It is also a good idea to take your temperature twice a day as you are going to be more prone to infection whilst on chemotherapy and try and stay away from people who have bugs. We adopted COVID like precautions whilst hubby had chemotherapy last year, especially in crowded places.

Please come back with any questions and all the best.

• I can only guess how comforting this comprehensive and knowledgeable reply will have been for spursfan.  Hugging   AW

• Hey there Always, thanks so much for your reply its very informative and will certainly point  me in the right direction moving forwards, i try and set little things to look forward to but a main incentive would be a holiday after the last Chemo session maybe 3 weeks after the last one, somewhere really chilled maybe Cape Verde where there is not much going on and its around 25 degrees, my wife will deserve the break as much as i do and as i say something to aim for, if i think of any more questions i will certainly be coming in your direction, again many thanks its very much appreciated.   

• Hey there Alpine it is indeed most informative and also comforting, it is such a great tool to have all this to hand for answers and advice on issues of concern, take care matey and keep on hiking 

• Good morning  

There isn't much I can add to the cacking post from  I am lucky as I have avoided Chemotherapy (so far!!) but in 30 months its been the fatigue and tiredness that have been the issues with me. In the early days I found the answer was to work through it - when I wanted a nap - go for a walk or set yourself a task -and it's worked. I sleep well now at night, I do get up for a wee a couple of times but back to sleep with no issues.

Holidays are great - nothing can better a bit of warmth in the sun (keep out of direct sunlight as much as possible) but the word "cancer" sends your travel insurance through the roof!! Here's a link you may find useful:

Travel insurance forum for cancer patients 

I hope the rest of your treatment goes well with no further side effects,. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes, if you just need a chat (football is depressing at the moment - although there's a whole new season to look forward to) there's always someone about.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

1. Good morning Millibob, things will only improve as my journey continues and it’s all a learning curve for me, yours and others advice and guidance will be paramount to me and any other travellers along our way, it really is a comfort to me and my mental health that so many people use these tools at our disposal on here to offer words of wisdom comfort and advice, the compassion is there for all to see, it really is a comfort to me as I see the support and sound advice, and yes I have been researching the holiday insurance and your right it’s very expensive but that said it will be worth every penny just to have that goal to aim for, once again many thanks for the kind words and tbf direction you are all sending me in is the only one I am looking to go, much appreciated thank you. 
  • Hi again  , glad to hear that you have started the treatment and so far all good.  I found my 3rd day the worst so just listen to your body.  Great post from  as usual.  Very good to have something to focus on after your treatment and a lovely holiday sounds ideal.  Please keep in touch.  Be gentle with us (Southampton) next season!  Best wishes, David

• Hey there David no worries with the football ( even worse for me the wife is an avid Leeds fan ) may I ask did the third day issue improve over time and was it the same after each session, again may I ask how many you have had, does it improve over time, sorry for all the questions but I feel if I am prepared I am in a better place, and if I am honest I do feel at my most uncomfortable today indecently it’s my third day, again many thanks for the advice and guidance it’s very much appreciated.

• With hubby, his worst days were 3 - 5 with bone and muscle aches plus extreme fatigue. Things improved on days 6 - 9 and he was back to doing most things from then on until day 3 of the next cycle when the same thing happened. He did not suffer any escalation of symptoms after each cycle although we were warned that this might happen. Hubby had 6 cycles of Docetaxel.

• Oh that’s interesting as I am feeling much the same Sat here with those same symptoms, really useful many thanks, appreciate seems to be suffering today not up to eating anything if I am honest, thanks again.