Radiation side effects

• 7 replies
  • 134 subscribers

My husband is now 3/5 weeks post radiation and I posed previously about his side effects of bloody liquid from his bowels and difficulty in starting a wee        
and the feeling that his bladder is never empty

The kind people on her advised me to contact the hospital which we did but was basically We were told to keep going and contact them in another two weeks if nothing much improves

Things did feel that they were starting to improve but since the weekend they have gone backwards and he is again finding it hard to wee ( but is managing something )  He is also experiencing liquid when he opens his bowel 

Would it be normal for recovery to be up and down?

He was tearful today which is very unlike him as he is normally such a positive person

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read of his condition. this very much sounds like the side effects of the Radiotherapy.

My honest opinion is that you need to contact the Radiologists at the Hospital - tell them there was a slight improvement and now he's back to square one and stress the lack of control is causing some anxiety,

Come back to us please once you have a plan and things are better.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi 1966, as Brian said almost certainly radiotherapy is the reason for your husbands problems, the bowels and bladder often get damaged by radiotherapy, but will  recover, it does/can take time  and as you said there can be ups and downs. The blood and liquid in the stools happens, though blood should always be reported to be safe, regarding peeing,  if its clear with little odour and if his urethra isn't  tender or his gland painful when peeing is most difficult, and  he is drinking plenty of water this is all good. Your team does like to give the bowels time to heal themselves, but if you are concerned you should always contact them, best wishes. 

Eddie  xx 

• Hi  , as the others have said, always make your team aware of any issues.  The blood is fairly common and with mucus obviously looks really odd, but it should settle down but even if it does go on for a while it isn’t a problem.  The RT can cause a little damage around the bowel  but hopefully this will mend over time.  Just be aware if the bleeding is excessive to watch for anaemia.  Good luck with his recovery. Best wishes, David

• We have spoken to the radiographer who explained 

recovery from radiation varies from patient to patient

feelng of always wanting a wee caused by bladder still being irritated

wind and loose bowels caused as bowel trying to heal

she is sending us a diet sheet showing best foods to eat through this

and some gel to put in rectum to help with bleeding

so I guess we have to try and be patient while we wait for an improvement 

• Hello  

Thanks ever so much for keeping us posted as your reply will  be helping all the people who "ghost" through the Community without posting.

I do hope there is a quick improvement - once again thanks for the update and keep us in the loop,

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• I ghosted for a while before posting and found everybody so informative and supportive which I why I started posting

Hoping our experience will be of help to others as it can be a scary place to be 

• Hello  

That's great that you have joined us - we are a good crowd, there's a sense of humour running through the Community (you need it with cancer!!), but we know to be serious when we need to be. Any help you can give to others would be very much appreciated.

We had a Community Champions meeting earlier in the week and I was amazed at the number of regular "lurkers" or "ghosters"  who use the Community. If I remember rightly the entire Community had six and a half million page views last year.

It's a great feeling though knowing you are helping others in their time of need.

Best wishes - Beian.

Community Champion badge