Oncology Appointment & Treatment Plan

• 35 replies
  • 136 subscribers

My oncology appointment was brought forward to today, by the establishment of a new clinic.

I saw the Medical Oncologist and Radiologist and it was, all in all, a very positive experience.

She said that it was going to be a curative process:

• 6 months hormone therapy to shrink both the tumour and the size of my "chunky" prostate.
  • Review at 3 months point to ensure that I understand I am still in a process.
  • Change to 3-month injections at the next monthly appointment.
  • After Christmas, 37 fractions of "radical radiotherapy".
  • Two more years of hormone therapy.

I strongly suspect that you will recognise this.

Am I happy with this - yes, because it was going to be what I was going to ask for. I had all my arguments prepared and didn't need any of them.

Both my daughters were with me (my wife had an operation yesterday and was still woozy from the anaesthetic - I blackmailed a neighbour into being a responsible adult), and they were very taken with the positive nature of the discussion.

I am personally much happier now that there is a plan I can work around.

With my background in London's East End, I have taken this way of looking at what is being done with me. Imagine the cancer as a person.

• The hormone therapy is going to hold it in place and wear it down a bit.
  • The radiotherapy is going to give it a good pummelling.
  • The rest of the hormone therapy sucks the life out whatever is left.
  • The other treatments that the consultant said she had "in her bag" then become a stick, or sticks, used to beat it down if it tries to get up.
  • Every year or so the research scientists hand her a new stick.

The image helps me, and I stuck it in here on the off chance that it will help others.

Calcium and Vitamin D tablets - exercise and good food. Everything, in fact, that I have seen here.

Hope the positive nature of this post helps others who are starting this journey.

• Hello  .

Well that's a cracking post. WE HAVE A PLAN!! ThumbsupSweat smile.

That is great news and as the oncologist has used my favourite phrase:

She said that it was going to be a curative process:

You only have 30 months of Hormone Therapy as opposed to my 36 BUT you get an extra 17 fractions on the "sunbed" so that evens things out!!

I can feel the relief in your post and am so happy for you. I do hope your wife is feeling better after her operation.

I would think tonight is time to open a bottle ChampagneCocktailChampagne and celebrate - and tomorrow the journey continues.......

(the Gleason 9 Club triumphs again!).

Kind Regards - Keep us posted - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• My wife does indeed feel better after her operation - to remove a polyp that was hiding behind her appendix and so could not be removed during the colonoscopy - but we did spend 3 hours in A&E last night because (oh, the irony) she could not urinate.

So, I'm going to find out what it is like to be her (hot flushes) and she is has found out what it is like to be me (waterworks problems). It is a strange kind of blessing.

I thought we would be in A&E all night but, after 3 hours, everything burst back into action.

• Hello  

All's well that ends well as the saying goes.

We don't all get all the side effects of Hormone Therapy (I think I did!). There were a number of times when I said something and the reply from Mrs Millibob was "Now you know what it's like to be a woman".

Here's hoping you sail through your treatment.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi mstev2,

I love the plan and the analogy of cancer as person, especially the research scientists handing her a new stick if needed,. Also the clear step by step of the treatment plan you've been given. Definitely worth opening a bottle of something nice as it all sounds very positive. Champagne glass

LSlight smile

• Amazing . You have a workable plan to suit you . Hope your dear wife recovers quickly . Let us know how you’re progressing . Best wishes Liz & OH 

• And another note to the treatment.

I deciphered what "74 in 37#" means from the Oncologist's handwritten note given to me.

My understanding is that this means 74 Grays in 37 fractions (I understand fraction to mean treatment day), to 2 Grays per fraction. I have no idea whether this is high, low or indifferent, but am accepting it as possibly high because of the verbal promise of "radical radiotherapy".

So, now embarking on what I percieve to be a potentially bumpy journey, I am working on being able to make memes so that I can cheer myself up as I go.

There is a notice in preparation for our bathroom which is syaing "Stand closer, it's shorter than it was".

Does anyone have any better ideas?

• The total radiotherapy dose is high so they are going in with the big guns.

I love the 'stand closer, it's shorter than it was'. My husband has been on HT for almost 4 years and he says that standing is no longer an option with his 'wobbly willy' if he doesn't want to get into trouble from me.

• "Stand closer, it's shorter than it was".

All I can say is "if the cap fits wear it".

I tend to sit down now - it's easier and stops me getting into (more) trouble from Mrs Millibob. Rofl.

Community Champion badge

• "It's going to have to be a very small cap."

I showed my wife your comment, and that was her response.

• They promised me that my aggressive cancer would meet an aggressive response.

As I understand it, this will basically cook the targeted areas.

I hope they are good shots.

I think that sitting is going to be the way forward.

I really need a more comfortable toilet seat.....