Curacumin IV - potential complementary therapy?

• 6 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi All,

Has anyone tried Curacumin via IV in addition to allopathic treatments?
A nutrtitionist I know highly recommended it as an additional support. I’ve looked at the cancer research website and it seems promising with a hint of realism.

Just wondered if anyone has experience with it?

• Hi CCG.

Good afternoon and welcome to our prostate cancer family.

I'm very sorry but I haven't had any experience of this but I'm sure other members will be in touch with you shortly & hopefully offer you some help with regards to this subject.

Please come back to me if I can help you further???

Prostate Worrier.

• Thanks Prostate Worrier!

• Hello  

Thank you very much for the advice. It's not one i have come across before.

May I just remind all Community members before taking any Complementary Therapies to check with your Team or GP to ensure they are suitable and there isn't a medication clash.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks Brian, we are speaking with our team. 

• Not via IV but I take some in powder form with my food everyday just because it is a good antioxidant. 

There are two things to be watchful for however:

1) If you are undergoing radiation, you should not take any antioxidants during the span of the radiation sessions because radiation uses free radicals to fry cancer and antioxidants reduce the efficacy of free radicals.

2) Curcumin/Turmeric can artificially lower the result of a PSA test as it is believe to mask PSA. So what I do is that I stop taking Curcumin 3 days before a PSA test, in the same way that I refrain from sex or bicycle in the 3 days before a PSA test. After the test is done, then I resume my regular activities.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks Mascouche, this is really helpful to know - especially on the PSA!