Update 6 weeks post Radiotherapy

• 14 replies
  • 134 subscribers

10/05/2024 appointment with oncologist. PSA level 0.07. Oncologist very happy with results. This is my first follow up 6 weeks after finishing the radiotherapy. 
Diarrhoea should get better over the next 3-4 weeks. Pain and weakness in legs is being caused by the hormone therapy and advised to take painkillers if needed but to keep on exercising regularly. Been assigned contact at hospital and put onto patient lead reporting ie booking psa tests and appointments every 3 months and later every 6months or earlier if I have any issues or concerns. 
Overall very happy with the treatment and the way things are going. I hope this may give reassurance for those just starting out on their journey. 
Full details set out in my profile. 

• Hi  

Thanks for the update pal - you appear very positive even though you have a few side effects. It looks like the HT/RT is doing it's job and with your positive attitude you are getting there. You now have a very nice low PSA.

Thanks for your report - please keep us in the loop.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  , great report.  Glad all going to plan and you are keeping very positive.  Best wishes, David

• Further updates. 
    13/062024. Latest update got up yesterday and couldn’t walk properly. Called 111 and they sent ambulance who did an assessment. The ambulance crew sent for taxi to take me to hospital urgent care. Then spent 13 hour have tests and MRI. Suspect spinal cord compression. MRI showed no damage to spinal cord and after further evaluation they concluded that the radiotherapy had irritated the nerves and muscles in lower back. Told to take ibuprofen for three to four days and up the Gabapentin I am on for fibromyalgia to three x 300mg for next couple weeks. A lot better this am. 

• Wow, that's not good. The good news is it's not Spinal Cord Compression and you have had another "MOT". At least you now know the cause and if it was anything major it would have been picked up.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• I had read that it could happen but coming on like it did was a bit of a shock. I have spinal stenosis but thought something had moved. They did find a bulging disc but clear space around the spinal cord so good news. 

• 15/06/2024. Latest on back pain. Tried upping the gabapentin to 3x 900mg but found I couldn’t function properly. I remembered why I reduced it to 3x 300mg. Back to taking ibuprofen 3x daily. Cancer nurse sent questionnaire to complete so I dare say another trip to hospital shortly

• Hi  , very scary.  Hope things settle down soon. Best wishes, David

• Hi David2017

i have had spinal problems since I broke my neck in 1971 and after reading up on radiotherapy and pain in lower back I feel that at least I know I’m alive. 
    On a more sensible note I hope that it will get better fairly soon as the radiation damage settles down. My bowels are settling as the irritation settles down so hopefully the muscles and nerves will too. 
    Eric

• This is lively news i start my radiotherapy of 20 fractions tomorrow here we go thank you for sharing as i gotta be honest im pretty terrified Trophy

• Hello  

You will be fine - it's just like being in a sunbed shop.

If you have any questions or notice any changes to your bodily functions speak to your radiologists - they have seen everything.

Keep the faith and let us know how you get on.

Good Luck - Brian.

Community Champion badge