30 MONTHS ON........SOME JOURNEY.........BUT "A CURATIVE PATHWAY"

• 33 replies
  • 142 subscribers

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I have just had my last HT injection into the old gluteus maximus and it's been a very interesting 30 months. I think I have had every side effect going and yet I am fine in myself. My nadir PSA test will be this August and then PSA tests 6 monthly lifelong. Anyone who isn't aware you can read my journey by clicking on my avatar.

I would just like to say a BIG thank you for everyone who has supported me on this journey and also to everyone in the Community for their continued support for others - you all are an inspiration.

For anyone interested we are looking for Community Champions - and as it's National Volunteering week here's a link for you

â€śIt's wonderful to have Community Champions”- Celebrating National Volunteers’ week on the Online Community 

No I am not leaving - I thought it was time I posted something!! Joy.

Kind Regards and Thanks - Brian Thumbsup.

• Good news that it's over Brian, hope all goes well and back to normal from now on

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Wow! Brian - well done for getting (almost) to the finishing line!I assume this last injection takes you up to the 36 month sentence? What a time we’ve both had on this journey!!! I am watching my husband like a hawk to see if I can notice any side effects waning. We were warned it would take 5-6 months. 

• Yes that's it. 36 months of being a woman (almost). As you say we've both had some journey. I do feel that after 36 months it's going to take some time (12 months?) to fully exit my body. Happy days!!

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Great news Brian. No more 'Pain in the bum' and well done for lasting the course. 

• It’s a funny feeling reaching the end of the journey - indeed , if it is the end. It’s one of relief that you can escape the HT but fear that you might have to go back on it! A sort of hiatus or a sense of having and not having (hopefully) cancer, excitement about no more ht and fear of recurrence! Nobody warned us about this ambivalence! I guess the only way that the medics can know if they have effected the hoped-for cure is to stop the HT and see what happens and be ready to step in and stamp on the cancer if it rears its ugly head again. 

• Ah well - and there is a story - My initial PSA was 182 - there were "spots" on my pelvis on my MRI and my initial MDT meeting said HT for life.

Oncologist "thinks" there may be evidence of a spread to my pelvic lymph nodes so they were "zapped" along with my prostate at Radiotherapy.

With an initial PSA of 182 the thought is it's gone walkabout - but nothing was showing - so it's HT for 3 years then 6 monthly PSA's for life.

All I can do is hope that all is good - I trust my team and am under Christies in Manchester under their new Self Management scheme which is great.

To quote the song by Doris Day "Que Sera, Sara".

Kind regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Congratulations Brian - thank you for all your support and your story has truly inspired me and others no doubt.   Pleased to hear you’re sticking around!

Geoff S

We`ve Got This!

• Congratulations Brian. I was on Prostap 3 injections for three years and I reckon it was 9 months after the last one that things started to return to normal. So about 6 months after the last injection had worn off. For you that's about this time next year. Something to look forward to!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Cheers Seamus

That's something to look forward too!! Thanks.

I hope all is well with you - I don't know if I mentioned it before - we rescued another ex racing greyhound in January - Mercury - and he's all black with a touch of white underneath. A gentle giant!!

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• You are a complete inspiration to us all and thank you for your continuing help and support within our community.We are all very grateful to you

Keep well and best regards 

Beverley