Radiotherapy - side effects

• 19 replies
  • 132 subscribers

I’m 8 sessions into 20 treatments for prostate cancer. I have what appears to me to be similar to IBS (bloating, gas, pain, frequent trips to the toilet but the result is mainly wind and watery mucus). The radiotherapists say they can’t tell for certain whether it is due to the RT.  Any advice is welcome.

• Hi

Did your hospital give you any dietary recommendations - Poole gave us a comprehensive list of do and don't eat?  In short, it was no alcohol or caffeine along with low fibre and no green leafy veg. There were other things not recommended but Im sure you get my drift. In other words an 'unhealthy' diet. The only problems I had was when I ignored the advice.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Coltrane

I had 20 sessions in 2017 and I do remember similar side effects which started midway through and lasted for a couple of weeks after treatment finished, so give it a few more weeks and things should improve.

All the best

Steve 

• My husband had this and was given a lactose and gluten free diet sheet to follow. It worked! He gradually introduce both into his diet after the end of RT. 

• Hi Stuart

I didn’t get any advice until after i started having this problem. No diet sheet just advice, which was a bit unclear. I’d already given up caffeine and alcohol and, generally, eat healthily. 

• Thanks Steve. I don’t think I could cope with 3/4 weeks of this. I nearly didn’t make the RT yesterday because I had to be near a toilet. Touch wood, just woke up and it does seem better. 

• Hi Coltrane

It's very interesting how different hospitals, treat dietary advice, during RT. Had I not followed the advice, I think I would have been in real trouble. 

I took the view that I would ignore it for one day - Christmas lunch 2019 - this resulted in the only real problems I experienced. All I will say is it was a good thing the RT team didn't work Boxing Day. The look on their faces when I told them, will stay with me for ever!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • One of my main problems was constipation and meds only helped in a limited way, urination a problem although u can get meds for that although I didn't take any.

Try and keep diet very basic during treatment, no big meals but most importantly don't give up on the RT

Steve 

• Hi Steve

I seem to recall being told by the RT team, 80% of patients get diarrhoea and the remainder, constipation. 

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • I think that's probably right Stuart, not sure if I had the best one

SteveGrin

• Hi Coltrane- sorry to hear about your RT issues.   I’m a similar diagnosis to you (see my bio).   I’m also at 14/20 RT sessions today and having the same issue amongst others.  
    I spoke to my Radiologist yesterday and they are going to give me some suppositories to help clear me out when necessary Sweat smile

I’m attaching a screenshot of possible sides and dietary advice I was given in my “welcome pack”  I am sticking to this rigidly and drinking more than 2 litres of water every day plus decaf tea/coffee.   I was warned the last week could be a rollercoaster so putting my tin hat on and heading for the finish line next Wednesday.

I was going to update this amazing Group then but thought I would jump in now when I saw your post.  Good luck and don’t worry - think of the positives and when finished have a nice glass of your faChampagne glassurite tipple to toast your courage and determination- I certainly will and so will my wife Champagne glass

Geoff S

We`ve Got This!