Diabetes

• 7 replies
  • 133 subscribers

My husband has now developed type 2 diabetes because of the steroids he is having to take, something else we have to get our heads round.

The GP didn't seem to get his head round he didn't have this before starting the medication for cancer and wrote  on his records that he had declined annual blood test and checks which is false, he had never had annual checks, we have only been with this surgery for 3 years.

Something else to fight, need it like a hole in the head.

Sorry to have a moan, just needed to get it off my chest.

• Hi Irish Terrier,it’s hard m managing multiple illnesses but we get there I’ve also got Type2 and RA,,I think my Cancer diagnosis has given me more focus as I’ve lost 8 pound and I’m almost back pre diabetes stage and also managing to get by without taking my Biological jag for RA through walking and exercise,so at least this cancer diagnosis have booted me up the arse

• Thank for your reply Robert1,

My husband is not over weight and could do with not losing any, he is the right weight for his height.

The trouble is the Dr only phoned him and just assumed his was over weight, hope when we see the diabetic nurse she can record his weight.

• I'm sorry to hear your problems. Unfortunately your GP sounds as hapless a mine. Im starting more treatment soon due to recurrence 8 years after radiotherapy. This was prompted by my PSA going to 2.07 (just above the 2.0 level for referral back to hospital). My GP entered "Normal - No Action Required" on my record which I fortunately picked up from access to my records. Had I not seen this it would be another year to the next PSA test and goodness knows what the consequences of that would have been.

It's very important that your husband's medical record is corrected if it shows that he declined blood tests etc. because such errors can have unforeseen consequences years later.

Your experience is a useful reminder to others that it is best to have full access to medical records and check that everything is recorded and is correct. 

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Your experience is a useful reminder to others that it is best to have full access to medical records and check that everything is recorded and is correct. 

Spot on - it happened to me before Christmas - eGFR going down - I already have CKD and the GP wrote "OK for this Patient".

Well "This Patient" wasn't a happy bunny. It's now been sorted.

Get FULL access to your medical records and check every entry.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Irish Terrier

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your GP with regards to your husband's diabetes diagnosis.

This is the last thing that you need in the current situation with regards to the prostate cancer.

I had similar problems in 2005 with my previous GP/surgery refused to give me my medication that the hospital had prescribed me following my Stroke/Brain Surgery.

That was the last time I met that GP as I moved from the GP surgery to a better one with a much better GP.

I have never looked back & I had a much better GP and much improved experience all around.

Don't worry about moaning that is what we are all here for you it's always best to get it off your chest and please don't let it linger.

Prostate Worrier.

• Thank you everyone for your replies, it does help to write it down.

• My husband has now developed type 2 diabetes because of the steroids he is having to take, something else we have to get our heads round.

Hormone treatment itself can also cause a rise in HbA1C blood sugar, but even more sinister is the drug often prescribed by GPs to counteract the hot flushes from the HT! Cyproterone Acetate is a particular culprit and many medical professionals aren't aware of the problem. If your husband is taking Cyproterone please read the patient information leaflet and bring it to the attention of your GP.

For more than 20 years my HbA1C was in the pre-diabetic region of 44-48 but after three years of Prostap it had risen to 54 and my GP jumped on this and ordered a multitude to diabetic tests, including eyes and feet, all of which were negative. It's nearly three years since my last Prostap injection and my HbA1C has been back down to 44 for over 18 months.

I hope that helps.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)