Suspected spinal compression

• 9 replies
  • 125 subscribers

My husband has prostate cancer with bone Mets, his now in hospital with suspected spinal compression after talking to oncology nurse this morning about numb arm and pins and needles in 2 fingers. Having to lay on his back,  MRI in the morning. Sugar levels high so might be pre diabetic. Not getting much information.

• Hi Irish Terrier, sorry to hear of suspected MSCC, I have been scanned 3 times in the last year for it as like you i am deemed more likely to get it. your MRI should give you answers, PS they are very diligent when this condition is suspected, Can i ask what type of prostate cancer your husband has, best wishes with the scan and i hope the results are kind, take care, both of you.

Eddie xx

• Hi Irish Terrier Sorry to hear about your husband,he’s in the best place and hopefully things get sorted out,sending hugs xx

• Not sure what you mean by what prostate cancer it is but this is what I know.

Gleason score 7 (4+3) grade 3 numerous bone mets spine, ribs and pelvis T3 pN0 M1b.

He started chemotherapy last week and having 3 monthly LHRH injections  plus Darolutamide  plus Docetaxel for 6 cycles

I wish they had given us a heads up about MSCC we could have sorted it quicker as it started 4/5days ago, my husband was carrying on as normal. 

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to know a bit stressed this morning.

Thank you for your reply 

• Hello Irish Terrier, the hardest part of this journey is the feeling of having no control of what is happening right now and a dreadful fear of what the future might hold. I do hope that your husbands team can get things sorted quickly for you both. We will all be here for you and offering our support - you are not alone in this!!!  Don’t forget to look after yourself while things look uncertain :) sending you a big hug x

• Thank you Worried Wife, Its not having any information it the hardest thing for me, I'm going to the hospital later as I managed to book parking on someone's drive as I don't know yeovil hospital that well and don't know all the roads,  only I know their parking is very expensive. 

Hopefully they will tell us something, my husband hide your head in the sand and not worry about it.

• Hello Irish Terrier - we had exactly the same problem - narrow country roads to get to the city, traffic congestion and not knowing the route to get across the city, long queues to get into very expensive hospital car park! It’s really tiring.

we found a nearby supermarket where we could park for free for 3 hours and a 10 minute walk from the hospital. This worked well until we got a parking fine - we had not realised that they limit parking to 90 minutes on football or rugby match days! Fortunately, i had kept a receipt for the petrol i had bought and appealed successfully!

our hospital do a poorly advertised parking deal for frequent flyers! You pay in advance  £25, for £50 of parking. That works well if you are not caught up in a long queue to park!

as for burying your head in the sand - my husband completely withdrew from everything. He refused to talk to anyone about his diagnosis - even me! That was really tough!

finally, i did loads of research! I avoided the less robust websites which tend to have some dubious  comments but looked at sites such as Prostate cancer uk , NICE guidelines for prostate cancer and peer reviewed academic papers. I also got a tremendous amount of insight and advice from people posting here.

i hope today goes well for you and that your visit to your husband brings you the reassurance you need right now. It’s a tough and horrible time for you both but you will get through it :) x

• No need to apologise, and sorry to hear your feeling stressed, I agree about being informed about MSCC earlier, those of us with metastatic prostate cancer have a 25% of getting it, My GP gave me a physical to see if i had it the first time it was suspected, she told me come and see her straight away "worrying", and also recommended regular MRIs. Irish Terrier there are many treatments for MSCC. best wishes with treatment and the MRI, take care.

Eddie

• Pleased to say no spinal compression, allowed to go home, neutrophils on the low side but to be expected after chemotherapy.  

Thank you everyone. 

• Great news there's no MSCC. take care.

Eddie