Lancaster

• 18 replies
  • 126 subscribers

Has anyone started their prostrate diagnosis from Morecambe bay authority? If so what’s your experience? 

• Hi again.

All I can offer is a link to start a conversation.

https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/news-and-events/latest-news/new-royal-lancaster-infirmary-urology-unit-development-aims-speed-cancer-treatment

Another option is to contact a local prostate cancer support group. I see that there is one in your area as well as in Lancaster.

• + Hi  . I was treated at Lancaster Urology/Oncology for bladder cancer. I found the service and care excellent. Communication and follow up couldn't be faulted. I had to travel to Preston though for radiotherapy. Sometimes had to go to Kendal for some procedures but again an excellent hospital, This was before the latest upgrades to the department. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thankyou. Just going tomorrow for treatment plan. Concerned as consultant was one that was involved in investigation 

• Hello  

I hope all goes well today and your treatment plan is explained to you in full. If you are unhappy with anything there is a procedure where you can make a formal complaint and also you are able to change Consultant if you are not happy. (Please don't name anyone on the forum).

It would be great if you will let us know how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Cumbrialady, we are based in the Midlands and so don’t know anything about your local hospital, I’m afraid. But we had an appalling service from urology as we tried to get through the diagnostics . We eventually resorted to the hospital Trust Patient information ( sometimes called ‘advice) liaison service - PILS ( PALS) for help. They sorted things very quickly! We did make a formal complaint and did get a reply but I’m not sure that it achieved much for us but hope that it might have helped following patients. What we learned to do was: 1. Keep a diary of every encounter with the hospital, taking names and contact details, what was said etc 2. Being politely assertive - not accepting delays or decisions without question etc 3. Getting as much info as we could so we were able to question from an informed position 4. Letting the hospital staff know we were prepared to take cancelled appointments at short notice.

i have to add that when we got to oncology it was like landing on a different planet! There the service, the efficiency, the care etc was nothing short of fantastic! How can 2 departments in the same hospital be so different?!!!!

best of luck to you both!

• Well we’re home from the Lancaster appointment.  The consultant left much to be desired. First comment as he scrolled through the computer screen “ what can you tell me?” He said little other than to say tablets/ injections and radiotherapy as if that was the standard treatment. take it or leave it! 
    I asked many questions. Some were answered then we went to see a specinurse who was brilliant.  Explained everything and said the next move as a bone scan to check ( he’s T3aNO) with 6.6 PSA 3+4 Gleason and no symptoms.  Age 79. 
    we are thinking of bone scan is clear we will go with watchful waiting with 3 monthly checks. 

• Hi  .

At least the meeting has given you some answers. Did you get a copy of the biopsy report as this would tell you if there were any aggressive features. Also how contained or close to the edge of the capsule was the cancer, it's size, was it in just one side or in more than one place. All of these would influence whether any treatment was advisable. In any event the minimum I would push for with a Gleason 3+4 is Active Surveillance rather than Watchful Waiting as this would give you more confidence that things remain under control.

• I am not a medical doctor but my understanding is that T3a means the tumour has broken out of the capsule. My husband was T3a N0M0 Gleason 4+3 and went down the grand rt route. Hth

• I missed that WW. You are correct so probably curable with treatment.

• Well if the bone scan is ok then we’re thinking of going with watchful waiting / active surveillance.  He’s very active. Rides a bike. Plays table tennis 3 times a week and doesn’t want the side effects of unnecessary treatments.  
    The Oxford uni study of 2023 is very interesting.  
    Also look at the nhs prostrate predict site. Very interesting