RT 6 sessions over 6 weeks 36gy Jacob journey

• 41 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hi All,

AH BarryW and Eddiel all suggested that I will share Jacob journey with the RT so other people can benefit.

Quick general background: Jacob diagnosed 6 months ago with advanced PC to nodes and pelvic bones. All the details on the profile. He is on HT with Zoladex injection and Enzalutamide.

Side effects are tolerable. Fatigue and bad hot flushes. All was going well, he is active, avid swimmer and we both get lots of help from this community.

On Thursday he started the RT which is EBRT, once a week for 6 weeks, only to the primer tumor.

We have been told to follow the instructions carefully, enema 2 hours before and drink 4 glassed of water exactly 40 mins before the treatment. On the dot of 40 mins before, Jacob drink the 4 glasses in succession  within 5 mins.

40 mins gone by, an hour gone by and then very politely I asked what is happening. We were told he is next. He was admitted over an hour after the 40 mins gone. 1 hour and 40 mins after drinking the water. When on the sunbed he was told his bladder is too full. Of course it is, because the time lapsed. He was told to pee into  2 cups to empty the bladder by half. So he did and had the treatment. He was told he can carry on swimming no problem there and also he can eat whatever he likes just not alcohol which he does not drink anyway. As he allowed to swim, he swam on Friday.

No problem on Thursday or Friday. This morning I woke up at 5am my usual and Jacob saying he cannot pee. So I cannot deal with anything when I wake up, need 15 mins to focus.  

The next two hours were much better and with lots of water the peeing processing started to ease. Not normal but there is a slow flow.

The oncologist nurse call us back to reassure and said that only if he cannot pee or strong pain we should go to A&E.

Sorry Eddie for this long post, promise the update will be much shorter.

Lots of love to everyone 

Dafna

• This app will help him make sure he does them properly. Also - more is not better in this instance, just keep it to about 3 times a day.

https://squeezyapp.com/

• Hello everyone,

Good news. Jacob peeing is currently back to normal. It is a big relief, I am hoping it will carry on as it is now.

Thank you everyone for all your practical help and love that come through this community.

It is very special.

Dafna

• That's great to hear Daphna, after all you do for the forum, it's the least we can do, 

Eddie xx

• Morning all,

Update

Jacob had his 2nd 6gy RT yesterday. This time we have seen on time. We were told that if urine will stop again Paracetamol can help as the prostate inflame follows the RT and Paracetamol may reduce the inflammation. During the night urine blocked again but slowly return early morning.

We will do all it takes to avoid going to A&E.

Lots of love

Dafna

• Morning Daphna and thank you for the update, no delays which is great and good advice from the radiographers, and you looking after him, Jacob couldn't be in better hands, take care.

Eddie xx

• Hi Dafna ( ), sorry I have been out of contact for a while and just picked up your post.  Sounds like you are both doing well (with a few issues) and hope things settle down soon.  At least you are underway with treatment.  Best wishes to you both, David

• Thank you David! Yes, things seem to settle. Jacob gain lots of weight so he is now starting to watch it. I know it is silly, but i hang on to this: as long he is swimming and active he will live. 

How are you doing?

Lots of love

Danfa 

• Morning Daphna, I hope you both had a good bank holiday, It is not silly what you are saying being active and exercising are the best thing we can do for ourselves, not only does it help you physically but just as important emotionally and is proven to boost your immune system, and lose a little excess weight too, Daphna does Jacob have any bloating. or is it all weight gain

Eddie xx

• Morning Eddie,

Yes, we had a lovely Bank holiday, I hope you enjoyed it as well!

He is bloating and gain weight. He eat really well, lots of veg and protein but he suggested going to see a dietitian and we are going to see someone who has vast experience with oncology. This I believe will help him mentally. Will do it after the last session or RT at the end of the month.

How are you doing Eddie?

Lots of love

Dafna

• Stay positive Dafna. You are both doing brilliantly. Just think what the radiotherapy is doing to the cancer - zapping it to oblivion. Radiotherapy can cause fatigue so make sure Jacob listens to his body and not to push himself too far. It is also a good idea to up his protein intake to help his good cells recover more quickly - this will also help to make him feel fuller and not want so many carbohydrates. All the best for the next round on Thursday and keep us updated from sunny (hopefully) Brighton.