Update on journey

• 6 replies
  • 122 subscribers

Hi

so had a further PSA check on 15th April following one in Feb where I was informed by urology nurse it had risen and I needed to see consultant which I did this week after a few months of anxiety. I had a prostatectomy last August. Consultant was not concerned as rise was only slight. Whilst I appreciate they are looking out for me I wished the nurse hadn’t stressed me out. I asked consultant about the horrendous fatigue I’ve had since surgery. He said there is no universal evidence prostate surgery causes fatigue for this long and believes it could be male menopause. Gosh I’m 63! He was clear men can go through this due to drop in testosterone levels and they dip but the afternoon. So another PSA test in August and see consultant again in Sept. Often information gets so confusing as if you read about being fatigued after surgery websites including cancer ones state it causes fatigued. 

im having psychology counselling at hospital as they felt I have PTSD due to trauma and the consultant felt the emotional and psychologically that’s what’s causing the fatigued. Not surprising after what we go through. My psychologist said when we are told we have cancer we go into survival mode and it’s like ‘what has to happen to get rid of it”. It’s not until after treatment we then process it and those around can’t always understand why we’re not jumping for joy when we are clear of cancer at that time. It’s not that simple in my view.

your thoughts on above.

colin

• Hi Colin

I did find the whole thing very draining but I did start recovering some weeks after Radiotherapy finished.

I do think counselling is a good idea, I had some just after treatment finished but feel I should have gone on for more than the 6 sessions.

Def once it was all over mentally things got worse but did improve over time albeit slowly.

In your case having the PSA going up certainly doesn't help but looks like your consultant not concerned at the moment 

All the best 

Steve 

• Hi Colin (  )

It's a hard one for sure. We all react to a cancer diagnosis in different ways and we all have our own way of dealing with the diagnosis, the results, the treatment path and the after treatment period. There are no set rules!!

Prostate cancer and any other cancer brings us together - that's why we are here - we have a bond and we are as a Community "stronger together" but we also lead our own lives. We have gone or are going through life changing treatments and not all of us are mentally strong.

It’s not that simple in my view.

I fully agree - unless you have had cancer - you have no idea what it can do to your mind and as an individual you fight your own corner - I am 28 months into my journey - I have fought every step of the way  - but earlier this month I had an awful 2 weeks - I am over it now but it's people who have "been there - done that" who got me through it - not anyone else.

For me fatigue and fighting cancer are like peas in a pod - they come together - my view  - not the view of any medic!!

Colin - you are doing great in your fight - we are all with you here pal - keep up the fight - you will win.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Totally correct and that’s why this forum is a godsend,we all have something in common and are there for each other,stay strong 

• Hi Colin  .

The fatigue you are experiencing is very real and debilitating. My husband developed PTSD 27 years ago as a result of his forces experiences which resulted in the permanent 'fight or flight' response - you end up living on adrenaline. He found that cognitive therapy with a psychologist worked best at getting his life back into a better balance but it did take time (for him 18 months of weekly therapy). The PTSD affected all aspects of his life to the extent that he withdrew from it completely. Hopefully you are being given coping strategies but the best one was to set him daily tasks to do things that he enjoys. This started to break the cycle, build up the energy, improve appetite and gradually got him interacting with the outside world and the fatigue reduced as he was able to sleep better. When he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer 4 years ago his PTSD symptoms were exacerbated and we go through cycles of it each time he has a recurrence and treatment. Recognising the problem and being kind to yourself helps, as does the understanding of loved ones and friends. Give yourself time.

• Thank you, this was helpful to read. Wish your partner and yourself the best x

• Hello Colin, receiving a cancer diagnosis hits everyone hard - even when it’s your partner and not yourself! It is pleasing to hear that you are getting the help and support you need.

i know that i was a wreck when i stumbled upon this forum and the support i received here at the time was just incredible!

we are now 18 months into our journey and my husband is really struggling with non Pc health issues. This is making things very tough again. I also think that we are coming to the end ( hopefully!) of a long wet , cold winter and Spring isn’t arriving as it should do - our reserves and resilience are low.  Life can be tough but we struggle on .

i think the hardest things to cope with are the ‘what ifs?  and the tiredness of both the struggle and the worry. I don’t know much about PSTD but having that on top must be downright exhausting!

I think your post was very brave and very honest and  brings comfort to all of us struggling with ‘demons’ tin that we know that we are not alone on this journey - in all its effects !

Thank you and I hope things go well for you!