update on my Prostate Cancer Situation

• 7 replies
  • 123 subscribers

Original Post 

I don't know where to start with this as I haven't a clue where I stand at this present moment in time.

to cut a long story short,

In January my local Doctor took a blood test from me the result of which was my PSA level came back at 6o odd. This was to rise to 90 odd a fortnight later at my urology appointment.

since then I have been for MRI, Bone and CT scans which all indicate Prostate cancer. 

Since then I have had a local anesthetic Biopsy procedure (23 samples were taken from my Prostate), which to everyone's surprise came back negative, I was told by the Urology nurse that this can happen as the cancer could be deeper rooted and  they didn't get the sample they required.

I was then sent for another Biopsy procedure this time under general anesthetic, (nearly 3 weeks ago which they took another 23 samples from my prostate)

I have just had a call from the Urology nurse this afternoon telling me that the second lot of biopsy's have come back negative once again.

Has anyone else been through the same sort of situation 

I am in turmoil here, I was just getting my head around my Prostate cancer situation but I'm beginning to fear the worst,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

UPDATE - 

I have been to see the Consultant Urologist at the Wansbeck today

He informed me that I have an extremely rare case indeed, where 2 separate biopsies have come back negative but the scans have shown a spread to Lymph nodes and Bones.

The cancer is high up within the prostate and into the seminal gland. so deem that no more biopsies will be carried out. The cancer is Stage 5 and has spread outside the prostate capsule and into my lymph nodes, The bone scan revealed that it has spread to my Femur, Tibia, fibula and Skull.

The consultant told me that due to the extent of the spread I've probably had this for 2 to 3 years undetected.

The positive is (if there is one) No Radio or Chemo-therapy is deemed suitable and the treatment will be in tablet form, along side the 6 monthly HT they did mention the names of the 2 different types to be prescribed at my Oncology appointment but there was a lot to take in at the time.

will keep you posted 

Ian F

• Hi Ian 

I do remember your original post and unusual situation of biopsy being clear but scans showing tumour(s)

Sorry to hear the outcome but HT can work for many years and there are plenty of different options here.

Perhaps also consider clinical trials like immunotherapy which can be effective with some aggressive cancers.

Keep us posted how it all goes

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Hi Ian,

I'm sorry to read your outcome, I also remember reading your post and it was very odd with 2 negative biopsies. What I find so amazing is that there are so many different drugs and treatments to keep things nicely under control. I'm wondering if you will have Enzalutamide or Abiraterone? These are excellent drugs which are often combined with the six monthly injections and they really shrink back and suppress any metastatic activity. They are quite common, but there are others. My OH has Abiraterone ATM and it seems to be working very well. He does have side effects of fatigue, which is mainly from the Zoladex injection (apparently) but this can be counteracted to some extent with a good exercise regime, which is also very good for your  bone strength . Are you taking calcium and vitamin D? (bones) Vitamin C (supports your immune system) something to look into. Give your body something to fight with by doing these extras. Definitely keep us posted on how you are doing. 

Best wishes

L

• Barry W

Sorry for the late reply but I've been trying to process the news from yesterday,

I am feeling a lot more positive today after reading the replies to my post and talking to friends and family.

The two drugs you mentioned are the ones the consultant said I would be prescribed alongside the HT.

Hopefully no major side effects from either of them

I am heading out to the Lakes next week for a couple of days to do some nice walks and try to keep my fitness up . (Hope the sun is out)

thanks 

Ian F

• Hello Ian ( )

I remember your original post as it was so unusual it left me struggling for words (and that's unusual!!).

However I am so sorry to read of your diagnosis and in view of whats been said you still have a positive attitude.which is good.  Enjoy your trip to the Lakes, try and keep as fit as possible (fatigue is your new number 1 enemy) and keep us posted.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Good man keep chin up,we’re all here for you

• Hi Ian,

That sounds great with the lakes trip we always like to go there too. Definitely power up with the exercise it's really made a difference to OH. Also this is something you may want to discuss at your next meeting - Enzalutamide and Abiraterone do the same job, they are incredibly effective but they work in slightly different ways. I'm not going to attempt to say how, because I read about it a year ago, but have forgotten the technicalities. But what I do remember is we were told Abiraterone first if you can get it and then if your body starts to become resistant to it you can switch over to Enzalutamide as it may work well. But for some reason it's not so effective to do Abiraterone after Enzalutamide. So definitely check that with your consultant. If you take Abiraterone you will also have "prednisolone" (steroid) it works against the fatigue, but also very importantly protects your liver from any damage from the drug. Both have different qualities and suit men in different ways, I'm not sure but I think if you have any leaning towards heart problems Enzalutamide is better. When you have a minute look up the side effects of both so that when you have that chat you are well informed with some good questions. Another plus is that you are exactly the same age as my partner and because of this you are able to take the side effects better, naturally you have more strength and less chance of having other issues like heart problems or diabetes. So best foot forward. Fitness and positive attitude, our plan is make it hard for this cancer to go any further and you need to get the gloves on too and give it a good thrashing. Enjoy the Lakes, when the suns out it really is amazing isn't it.

Lx