Diet during radiotherapy

• 13 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hi. I have prostate cancer, and am on zoladex and patiently (?) awaiting the start of external beam radiotherapy.

I currently try to follow a healthy diet with lots of fruit, veges, brown versions of carbs, and mostly white meat and fish. 

I understand that my diet will have to change during this treatment in order to avoid wind, but at the same time avoid constipation. However I am struggling to find what I will be allowed to eat. All my searches only come up with what I can't.

My CNS's say that I will get more info when I see the radio lot, but the advice seems to be to change ahead of that in order to aclimatise. My lovely lady wife is also added her two penneth.

Can anybody help.

• I just cut out caffeine and fizzy drinks/alcohol. 
    It does play a bit of havoc with your system, drinking water was my worry before each session. As the days progressed, I found it harder not to need a wee and hold it. 
    And just make sure you have access to a loo on yr way home, I had an hour and a half drive cross country, at the start I was ok on the way home, by week 2 I was looking for a loo, by week 3 I needed 2 stops on the way home and urgency took over. Luckily I live rural so trees were plentiful. But plan your trip, look for all places with a loo, pubs, McDonalds etc. 

Hope it goes well. 

• I'm so glad I have had an early dinner as whenever I read your meal plans the saliva juices start up as they sound so delicious.  Maybe it's time to write a cookery book aimed at prostate cancer sufferers - sure to be a hit.

Hope the final treatment went well today & you can now both relax tonight before heading home tomorrow.

• Apparently the patient tolerated the treatment well according to the sign off letter. He has declined the soup as he is currently returning everything into the toilet at the moment but too much information- the antiemetics are only partly working. 

With the menu today I could have been really fancy and added stuffed courgette flowers but they are a bit fiddly.

Thanks for your support Buzzers, it, along with everyone else's makes a big difference when you are away from home.