Decision on Treatment

• 9 replies
  • 123 subscribers

Having seen both the surgeon and oncologists, discussed the various treatment options available i have decided to go down the brachytherapy route. Thankfully my prostate isn't enlarged so I won't require any hormone treatment which is a small positive to be honest. I really took my time with this as it was a huge decision to make and i think this is the best option for me. Personally, I did feel the surgeon was telling me that this was the best option for me at my age but it just didn't feel right quite frankly so thought I'd see the oncologist before making a final decision. The oncology team were great, they made me feel comfortable when explaining both radiotherapy and brachytherapy options but didn't put me under any pressure - it was my decision and that included the surgery. That's not to the detriment of the surgeon, but I felt more at ease with the relaxed way I was dealt with. 

I know everyone has a different view and feeling of what's best for them so I'd say take your time and listen to the experts. Talk to your family and be open with them, they're a great support and helped me come to terms not only with what I am going through but getting to a decision. I would also urge anyone new to the forum to reach out, there is great support on here and no judges - we all have the same story.

Thanks to all the posts, extremely helpful and supportive to me.

• My partner had his mri scan on Sunday and gets his results on Friday. It was only last year he had head and neck cancer and 30 daily radiotherapy sessions. We are keeping our fingers crossed for good newPrays. I hope your treatment goes well Pray

• Hi ValH, thanks for your message and I hope everything goes well for our partner.

• Hello   A cracking post and very informative, thank you for posting that.

I am not sure if you have been following our very own   on his Brachytherapy journey but here's a link to his thread:

Surgery or Radiotherapy? Decision made! 

I am sure if you have any questions he will be happy to answer them. Keep us posted please as to how it goes and that's great news you have avoided the HT.

Best Wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello   - A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community - I am so sorry to find you here in view of your partners previous cancer diagnosis.

You will find us a friendly bunch and are happy to answer any questions you have however trivial. 

Once you get your partners diagnosis, Gleason Score, initial PSA and TNM staging if you stick them on your profile it will help us to help you.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Celt1965 hope everything goes well and by all accounts the care has been good,I’m off on a Canary cruise on Friday for a week to chill before my appointment on the 24th April and hopefully get news regarding RT cheers

• Hi Millibob, thanks for the response and I read your journey and wow, what a journey it was and so glad things are on the up for you. I did read that you were told not to go private, was there any reason for this? I have private medical insurance with my work but being a great support of the NHS went down that route and to be honest they've been superb. My wife suggested via her friend, that I should make use of my private medical cover but I'm not sure as the NHS have been swift in their handling of my case - it's just the waiting now for an a treatment appointment. One side of me wants to take the pressure of the NHS and go private, the other side says wait it out and that's my dilemma. I'm not sure you're able to answer but any thoughts you have would be welcome.

Best wishes - Peter  

• Hello  Peter - No I never considered going private. Even with the delays to my treatment at the time of greatest need the NHS have been there for me. The staff at Royal Oldham, North Manchester General and The Christie Oldham have been amazing throughout and my main hospital stay was during COVID!!

The support from the NHS, my wife and this Community has been second to none for over 2 years (that's why I do what I do now) I know the NHS is poor at supplying information and that's where we come in - if people know what the options / side effects are they can make an informed choice.

We can also support them on their journey.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Celt1965 - I have had a busy few days, so I’ve just seen your post.  Did you read my bio?  Looks like you’re going down the mono therapy brachytherapy route, so my timeline will probably provide you with some useful tips.   You haven’t put a bio on yourself, so I can’t tell if you are adding the “boost” (external beam radiotherapy ) to your treatment path.     AW

• By going NHS, you get full Multi Discipline Team (MDT) discussion of your case.  Ongoing treatment (which can be for many years, is also included).  If the waiting isn’t causing you any distress, then I think that you have chosen wisely.  AW