Docetaxel

• 17 replies
  • 136 subscribers

Hi

Im new here but sadly not new to cancer!

my dad had a radical prostectomy about 16 yrs ago and was given 5 years to live. He is still here but in the last three months his psa has gone from 3 - 17. He has had a cat scan and an mri and Xray’s and it is scattered through his bones quite badly. Up until now he has refused chemotherapy (long story but he saw my mum suffer badly through it due to cancer of The oesophagus) anyway. The doctors have told him he needs to do a five day course of docetaxel every 21 days for 6 cycles. He is very worried about how it will affect him. He is 83. I know it’s impossible to say as everyone is different but has anyone know anyone who has had it or has anyone had it themselves? Is it a harsher variety of chemo if that’s possible ?! 

any advice gratefully received x

thanks

Rachael

• Hi David,  thanks for coming back to me. No doubt someone will have the same as me and make contact soon. Thanks for your response and I hope you are now on the way to recovery 

• Hello  .

Welcome to our side of the forums. It must have been frightening to have a bad reaction to Paclitaxel and I hope you are ok now. From my understanding Paclitaxel is derived from the Pacific Yew, whereas, whilst Docetaxel is partly synthetic, it is derived from the European Yew. They use different carriers but both use alcohol to get them into solution. My husband didn't have an allergic reaction to Docetaxel but his first session did produce quite severe side effects from day 2 to day 14 of the cycle so for the second cycle the dose was reduced, plus he was given antihistamines by IV prior to the infusion. It is standard practice to take a steroid by tablet or syrup before, during and after the infusion to reduce side effects. In addition his white bloods dropped rapidly after the first infusion and he was given Gastografin injections to bring them up - this was then repeated for each cycle. By the end of the first cycle his red bloods had also dropped so these were boosted by injections of Epoetin Alpha. Hair loss was the most noticeable side effects but this can be countered by using a cold cap during the infusion. Anti nausea drugs were given prior to each infusion but hubby did not suffer, it was mainly taste sensation which we had to work around. Subsequent Docetaxel cycles went better with hubby feeling rough on days 2-5, improved from 6-8 and back to doing things until the next cycle. Can I add that some people have a lot better experience. After 2 sessions I did have to take home a rather inebriated hubby thanks to the alcohol in the carrier so driving is not recommended.

• Thanks for all the information given, I will note these then I know what to expect. I dont partake in alcohol so that should be interesting, I will definitely be getting a lift home from the treatment centre. Thanks for your response.

• Hi everyone, I thought I would update and see if anyone can shed any light. My dad did four rounds of chemo and the ct scan shows it isn’t working. He didn’t want to carry on with it anyway but decision was made to stop treatment. So unless he gets any joint or bone pain (cancer has spread to bones) which can be targeted with radiotherapy all they can do is manage pain (which he currently doesn’t have). We asked how long would he have with no treatment but the dr said she couldn’t say. Anyone have any ideas about weeks, months, years?

sorry to be so morbid x

• Hello  

I am so sorry to read that dad has stopped his treatment as it wasn't working. The good point is he's he's not in any pain.

I did read through the entire thread as this thread is new to me. You do say dad is not being offered any further treatment - in an earlier post you did say further treatment was on offer in Oxford, is there any news on this or has this offer been withdrawn too?

Anyone have any ideas about weeks, months, years?

I think you are being very realistic asking this question and no it's not morbid - it's called future planning and it's something we all need to think about - but few do.

I wish I could give you an answer - but like your Consultant no one knows. I would just keep an eye on dad and ensure he tells you of any changes in his condition so that any action can be taken to help him (medication, physio etc). He's 83, possibly 84 now so old age will affect him too. 

My personal advice for you is to enjoy his company and with a positive attitude he may have years left - but remember help is available if needed.

You say he lives on his own and it might be an idea to join our Carers forum - the link is here:

Carers only forum 

I do hope this helps - if I can do anything to help please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi R,

I would like to say how wonderful daughter you are! I can see through your posts how supportive, caring and loving you are and this is not taking for granted. Your dad is really fortunate to have you! 

I agree with Brian  . Enjoy the time you have together. Our oncologist always says it is up in the stars how long we have. How long we all have not only the PC sufferers.

Lots of love

Dafna

• Hello Rachael.

Sorry to hear that the chemotherapy hasn't worked as well as hoped - it didn't for my husband either but his cancer does seem to be more receptive to radiotherapy. He also had both first and second generation antiandrogens for a total of 3 years which kept the cancer at bay but had to be stopped a year ago after they were found to be no longer working. How long have our loved ones got left is on the back of the mind for many relatives as we all like certainties but with this disease there are too many variables to be able to predict it. In your case I don't think it is in the weeks or months but it is a good question to ask the experts whether they think it is less than a year (which I doubt) as this can open up access to additional benefits and help. The fact that the doctors are still talking about other options like radiotherapy is a good sign and I would also push them on what might be available at Oxford (if still an option) so that you can assess it's pros and cons. As others have said, use this as an opportunity to enjoy as much time as possible with your father.