Docetaxel

• 17 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Hi

Im new here but sadly not new to cancer!

my dad had a radical prostectomy about 16 yrs ago and was given 5 years to live. He is still here but in the last three months his psa has gone from 3 - 17. He has had a cat scan and an mri and Xray’s and it is scattered through his bones quite badly. Up until now he has refused chemotherapy (long story but he saw my mum suffer badly through it due to cancer of The oesophagus) anyway. The doctors have told him he needs to do a five day course of docetaxel every 21 days for 6 cycles. He is very worried about how it will affect him. He is 83. I know it’s impossible to say as everyone is different but has anyone know anyone who has had it or has anyone had it themselves? Is it a harsher variety of chemo if that’s possible ?! 

any advice gratefully received x

thanks

Rachael

• Hi Rachael.

A warm welcome to you and I hope that we can help and reassure you. Has your dad been put on hormone therapy to slow the cancer down - this would normally be a combination of injections and tablets.

Firstly, the doctors would not have recommended chemotherapy if they did not think your dad would be able to cope with it. My husband, like your dad, was very anti chemo because he had seen how badly it affected his mother but in the end agreed to it last year at the age of 79. Docetaxel is considered to be one of the less harsh chemos but the amount that it affects each person can range from very little to a whole raft of side effects, the most common being bone and muscle ache, fatigue, tummy trouble, taste change and loss of hair. Chemotherapy side effects can be dealt with by a range of drugs and nowadays many are given as preventative ones to stop them happening in the first place. I am a little confused by the dosing regime your dad has been given (maybe a misunderstanding?). My husband had to have 6 infusions in total with one infusion being given at 21 day intervals. Each infusion took anything from 2 to 4 hours and then it was back home, on a couple of occasions as p****d as a newt because the Docetxel has to be dissolved in alcohol. We kept a diary so that we knew what to expect in terms of side effects during each 21 day cycle but generally found that hubby felt very tired and achy for days 3 to 5 after the infusion, this improved in days 6 to 8, then he was back to normal until the next infusion. He had very little nausea and no vomiting which is usually most people's fear. He did lose all his body hair and was left with a nice Mohican on the top of his head (much to everyone's amusement), but now has a full head of very curly hair. Generally his taste sensation changed for the duration of the treatment so we had to work round what he found enjoyable to eat and drink (water and tea tasted foul but he liked a dash of fruit juice in water). The doctors and nurses keep a very close eye on your dad the whole time and provided you tell them everything then they will help your dad through it with as few side effects as possible.

If your dad does decide to have the chemo then we can help with some tips on diet and infection control to keep him safe and help him through.

At the end of treatment my husband's comment was that it was nowhere near as bad as he had expected.

Please come back with any questions, no matter how small or silly you might think them as we have all done it 

• Hi Rachaelpink and a warm welcome from me, can't really add much to Alwayshope's wonderful post only to say there is a chemotherapy forum on the community, if you click on forums near the top of this page you will find it. and to offer my best wishes to you both with whatever you choose, take care.

Eddie

• Thank you so much for this insight into the treatment. Yes my dad has been on hormone therapy for years, he has a mighty fine pair of breasts! He refused chemo 6-9 months ago so they gave him some tablets. These are no longer working. He has been told once he’s had the chemo or if he tries it once and doesn’t like it then he can go to Oxford for another type of treatment. I don’t know what that is. The doctor was very specific about the treatment for 5 days in a row then 21 days off x6. My dad lives on his own about 30 minutes away from me and we wonder if he will be able to cope of his own or if he will need to come and live with us for a bit even if it is a few days a week when he is feeling his worst. 

• Thank you for the clarification on the dosing. It is not one I have heard of but then I am not an expert. Perhaps others will chip in if they have any experience.

Your dad is certainly going to need a close eye kept on him but how the different regime affects him is difficult to predict, however, the side effects seem to accumulate the longer the chemo is given. Maybe have him with you for the first cycle as a precaution and then you should know what to expect and be able to judge whether he needs help for future cycles.

There are certain treatments which your dad will become eligible for once he has had chemotherapy e.g. radium 223 for bone mets.

• Thank you so much for all this info. It’s helpful and reassuring. Is radium 223 something given at Oxford? It’s quite a way from us and not our normal hospital. Xx

• Hi Rachaelpink,  I had a bad reaction to Docetaxel but others had no problem.  You can’t tell till you try.  I agree with Alwayshope that the first cycle he should ideally be monitored (and keep a diary) and then you will know what to expect.  I don’t understand the 5 day comment either.  I had my infusion on Monday and it would hit me on a Thursday, but as we keep saying - everyone is different.  Please come back with any questions and good luck with whatever decision he takes.  David

• Thank you x we have an appointment with the oncologist on the 26th to finalise details and confirm he wants to proceed. I’ll let you know what happens x

• I am afraid I do not know if it is given at Oxford. I have not found many on this site who have had it recently, the last one being  .

I have put a link to an information sheet from PCUK.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/radiotherapy-for-advanced-prostate-cancer

• Hi David, I've picked up on your post after looking for Docetaxel so hope you dont mind me picking your brains. I had my first chemo yesterday, the premeds went in fine but when the Paclitaxel was started I had a severe allergic reaction which was very scary although the nurses did respond quickly too it. I have seen my oncologist today and he has now prescribed Docetaxel. I know they are of the same family but Docetaxel is not plant based like Paclitaxel. Im wondering what allergic reaction you had from Docetaxel  and did you have any other treatment before you were given Docetaxel, did you have a new drug after your reaction. Any help would be grateful 

• Hi  , no problem.

I didn't  have an allergic reaction to Docetaxel.  On one treatment my cannula leaked and my hand was quite badly burnt.  My main problem with the drug was with my neutrophils.  The Docetaxel almost wiped me out, so much so that my oncologist advised against having round 5 as she didn’t think I would survive.  Others seem to sail through with no reaction.

Really sorry I can’t help, but hopefully someone else will see your post.  Best wishes. David