Still here!

• 8 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi all, I just wanted to share my milestone with you.

At 68 years old, I  was diagnosed with PCa and it was suggested that I might hope for about 5 years!  Quite a shock as you all know.  The diagnosis focussed our minds and we set about organising things that we had put off ‘until later’.  We have had loads of holidays, simplified our finances and moved house.  OK there were some rough patches (particularly at the start) but overall we have had a good time.  I can’t do what I could do as a fit 68 year old and I don’t know if my decline in activity is due to age or HT, but we have learnt to live with it.

I have been very lucky to have been supported throughout by my OH.  The diagnosis has in many ways brought us closer together.

I wish I had come across this site at the start of my journey as I am amazed at how well you support each other, particularly at the early stages of diagnosis and reading your stories gives hope for us all.  I would like to congratulate Brian and all the regulars, your advice is spot on and the humour is great.

For those new to the site (even with a non curative diagnosis like myself) there is life after a PCa diagnosis.  I have had 7 years (today) to prove it  - and hopefully it ain’t over yet!

Stay positive and best wishes.

David

• Hi David thank you for sharing this with us, You give hope to us all and thank you for all the advice and support you have given to everyone on our forum, 7 years is amazing and well deserved and i hope there are many more to come my best wishes to you and your OH, take care.

Eddie

• That is absolutely brilliant David. Many thanks for sharing this positive news . I don’t want to put a downer on this because I am so overjoyed for you but can I ask have you aggressive prostate cancer and if so, what is your Gleason Score, only my husband is an 8 and his cancer has spread to his lymph nodes and bones. 

I hope and pray for you for many more years to come and wish you and your family lots of memories to be made. 

• Hi David.

Many congratulations on reaching this 7th birthday and, hopefully, you have many more to come. I would also like to thank you for sharing and for your invaluable help and support especially for those of us who, like you, are members of the Gleason 9 club.

All the best to you and your OH in getting through the '7 year itch' and hope you celebrated in style.

• Hi Journeyone,

Thanks for your comment   At diagnosis I was T3b N1 M0  Gleason 4+5.  PSA 74.  David

• Good Afternoon  (well it is here!!)

Many congratulations - it's great to have another positive post - life is hard enough without this cancer sharing it with you and although I am on a "Curative Pathway" I take my hat off to all of you with an incurable diagnosis - well done.

I appreciate your Comments about me - but it's not just me - it's OUR Community and it's people like you who make it work. We all have that positive attitude, we have "been there - done that" and like me we all want to give back and help people who are in that "dark place", just diagnosed and wondering where it will take them.

For me - and reading your post you - the diagnosis and treatment have been a life changer - once diagnosed you - your family and everyone who has cancer have that "bond" - it's only us who "get it".

Here's to your next 7 years - I will have my afternoon walk and when I stop for refreshment - I will raise a glass to your next 7 years (yes I don't need and excuse for an EFES!!), 

Here's to the next 7 years - Brian ThumbsupBeers 

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Dear Journeyone

Like David I was diagnosed 7 years ago, although I am slightly ahead having received the diagnosis In 2016.

My initial diagnosis was Adenocarcinoma of the prostate, T3a/b, lymph node positive, possible bone metastasis, PSA 25, Gleason 4+3=7 in 75% of the tissue, December 2016. I was told to expect 4 to 5 years life expectancy. 

It is a shocking moment to receive news like that. I was only 54 at the time. My wife and I did similar things to David - sorting out finance, booking holidays and making sure we took loads of photos to make memories.

The initial chemotherapy treatment is quite tough, and one of the things I thought at the beginning was that if I feel this bad now, I will probably feel gradually worse every day until my time is up. I am happy to say I was wrong about that, since recovering from the chemo side effects I have lived a very full and happy life since then. I gave up my full time job and now work in a new part time role. We have enjoyed plenty of fantastic experiences since diagnosis and on a recent holiday to Iceland managed an 8 mile walk in the snow which shows that you can continue to enjoy life (possibly more than before) once you get your head in the right place.

I don't really believe that having a positive attitude will extend my life, but it is so important to take that approach so that we can enjoy what time I have left.

When I was diagnosed, my wife and I started writing a blog to keep family and friends up to date with my treatment. I have detailed all my major mile stones, but it has also become a bit of a travel blog as well. If you have time to look you can find it here https://johnandbim.thebethams.com 

I hope you and your husband cope well through his treatment. All the best.

John

• Congratulations David on your 7th anniversary. Enjoy the day, my wife and I always celebrate my diagnosis anniversary with a bottle of something bubbly. My next anniversary will be in October this year when (hopefully) I will get to 8 years.

Like you say, it's not over yet.
    All the best

John

• Hi David. 

Great to read your new milestone 7yrs is fantastic news I am so pleased for you.

I have been given 5-10yrs for mine but I intend to fully enjoy these and many many more.

Yes there's definitely "Life After PSA"

Prostate Worrier.