Reluctant Newbie PC

• 19 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hello readers. So, here I am at 58 with a recent diagnosis for prostate cancer, T2, Gleason 3+4 = 7, PSA 2.59. No symptoms but a strong family history of two slightly older brothers diagnosed with PC in the last 8 months led me to pester my GP and after all the tests, scans and a biopsy, here we are.

Like many others whose stories I have read, how the heck do I decide on the most appropriate treatment option for me? I have swung between the prostatectomy option and the Brachytherapy option since diagnosis in February 24 and don’t know how to proceed. I have an appointment with an oncologist in a days Time and have already seen the robotic surgeon consultant. I have an appointment with genetics in mid April due to the strong Family history. If things do conclude that it’s all genetically driven, is there a treatment option that is better suited?  Can anyone offer any gems to guide me?

All for now, another sleepless night awaits.

Why Oh Why.

• Hi Why Oh Why and welcome to the forum, though sorry to hear of your diagnosis. To be honest I do not know, If or how, a genetic link could have a bearing on your treatment. Your stats are very good and you are still relatively young which are big positives, The biggest plus with brachytherapy is that your possible side effects should be fewer and less severe especially regarding incontinence and erectile dysfunction, though there are never any guarantees with either treatment. your oncologist meeting will hopefully help you decide, though you are very welcome to ask the wonderful guys and partners here anything you can think of, good luck tomorrow and I hope your brothers are doing well. take care.

Eddie

• Hello   A warm welcome to the club you didn't wish to join!!

So sorry to find you here but we are a good bunch. The question about which treatment is a good one and at the end of the day - it's which one suits you. I would list Surgery, Brachytherapy and HT/RT and then read up on them all - trusted sources, here, Prostate Cancer UK (not Dr Google!!). Make yourself a list of the pros and cons for each treatment as YOU see them and then decide.

There are plenty of threads on here with different treatments and some of us have our personal journey on our profile (click my avatar to see mine). We are all more than happy to answer any questions you have however trivial they my appear.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello WOW.

A warm welcome. There appears to be plenty of work going on in the field of genetics and whether certain treatments are better suited depending on the type of mutations present. The answer seems to be that it depends on which particular genetic mutation you have. It is interesting that a lot of the work involved is in tailoring treatment based on each persons individual genetics at the time of diagnosis to prevent over treatment but also in being able to offer gene therapy for patients whose cancer becomes resistant to traditional therapies. It is a rather technical read but if you are up to the challenge I have attached a link to a paper which summarises all the latest developments in treating prostate cancer and where it might go in the future.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9457814/

• Hello Why Oh Why,

We've all been there with those sleepless nights but you'll have gathered that this forum and the Macmillan website are worth their weight in gold for providing reassurance, support and information.

If you look at my profile, you'll see that there's also a strong genetic factor in my PC; both my older brother and my late Dad were successfully treated. Yours and my diagnoses are similar, but with a higher PSA in my case (though I'm not scoring points on this one!!). For my brother and I, there was no mention of a genetic-related treatment plan, though Alwayshope's message is helpful and interesting in this respect. 

As for me, I'm having my pre-RT assessment tomorrow as I continue with daily horse-pills of HT. Upwards and onwards!

Very best wishes,

David

• Hi WoW

just abbreviated your name, so I don’t mean “wow” Stuck out tongue winking eye 

Yours is a tricky one, because of the clear link to genetics. If you zap a small area (focal therapy like HIFU) it would probably result in another area forming in the prostate.

the good news is that you have caught this super early. Almost all men with PSA of 2.59 would not go on to have MRI and biopsy.  Your Gleason is low as well.

Brachytherapy may suit you well (HDR or LDR brachytherapy), without the potential side effects of hormone therapy or surgery. 
    It is awful that you are not sleeping well- but most of us had that in the times following diagnosis. Try not to worry- treatments are so advanced nowadays, and you have caught it so early that you are in control.    AW

• Hi Why oh why, Welcome to the gang ,it’s always a worrying time when first diagnosed as your mind wanders constantly,I’m like you have 3+4, Gleason 7 T2,mines confined in my prostate when I was diagnosed in January and also caught early ,hopefully once you get your appointment things will start the ball rolling,I can’t get the operation as I have Rhuematoid Arthritis so will probably be going down the RT route,everyone on here is great with valuable information,hope your on the treatment journey soon,good luck 

• Thanks for the reply Milibob 

Thats some journey you have been on, but looking good at the mo which is great news. 

WoW

• Thanks for your wise words Eddie

Why Oh Why

• Thanks AW, wise words.

WoW 

• Thank you Robert1.

wow