Proton-beam-therapy, anyone had it ??

• 3 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Therapy is relatively new type of radiotherapy which uses charged particles called ‘protons’ instead of ‘photons’ (X- Rays).

www.england.nhs.uk/.../Proton-beam-therapy-for-cancer-of-the-prostate.pdf

• Hi

I have read a lot about this machine, there are not many in the country, it’s mainly used on people with Brain tumours as it’s a very narrow beam. A marvellous machine. Unlike radiotherapy which uses a broad beam and can affect organs in the body, maybe not straight away, it could take months or even years, still better than no treatment.

I asked about this therapy, but was not included in my stampede trial at the time.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi John

If you search NHS proton beam there is quite a bit of info. Looks like two NHS cancer centres for PB and as Joes has said is used for certain difficult cancers incl brain

You should be fine with EB but if you really want PB go private as there are centres if u are prepared to pay

Good luck

Steve

• I've just finished a course of proton beam on my larynx,  first couple of weeks fine, and as it had been explained to me each day it would pump more in for a shorter period of time which they did , the difference is they can pump it in and it goes no further if that was the case I would of had top of spine problems,  everybody is extremely confident and made to make u feel at ease, got to wait another 2ish weeks , even though my beam therapy has finished I was told it will be working for a couple of more weeks, so it's touch wood for me if they had lasered I could of lost my voice completely,  smart bit of kit it drops the beam (proton beam)right were its needed,  just need to recover now. I ain't gonna lie this take the stuffing out of u, peace love and good wishes to you all.