Bone scan appointment

• 22 replies
  • 124 subscribers

Good evening all,

I’ve got a bone scan booked for next Tuesday, the 14th. Any words of advice or hints as to what I should expect?

The Shellback

• I found that this was relaxed as long as you don’t mind needles. I’ve had 2 MRI scans which one was head first into the scanner.

• Hi

Theres nothing to worry about, this may be the first of many scans, whatever hopefully nothing is found they will act on the information, so just try and be calm your in good hands.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Shellback, I At mine I had an injection at 12 then had to return for the scan 3 hours later to give the injection time to work. The scan itself took  about 20/25 minuets and the scanner used was  bit like a  big doughnut. These things I've found are always easier that you expect with the worst part waiting for the results.

Good luck with it.  regards Reg

• As Prefect56 says you will get an injection about 3 hours before the scan. I was warned not to cuddle the grandchildren for 24 hours and to sit down to pee so as to avoid splashing as the injection is mildly radioactive. Otherwise the scan is completely painless, just rather boring. Take a good book.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thanks Seamus, straight to the important stuff! I love the thought of being mildly radioactive. 

The Shellback

Richard the Shellback

The situation is desperate - but not serious.

• Hello Prefect, That matches what I’ve been told elsewhere. Not terribly scary but dancing 25 minuets at my age is a bit extreme Wink.

Thanks Reg

The Shellback

Richard the Shellback

• Good advice: keep calm and trust the professionals. 

Thanks Joe

The Shellback

Richard the Shellback

• Hello Tyler, Like being reborn? Needles don’t bother me but I don’t do MRI. I carry some magnetical metal in my eye so to have that flying free might ruin my day.

Best,

The Shellback

Richard the Shellback

• Shellback,

I found the unknown the worst part.  Dead simple, you get 2 injections, then have to wait for 2 hours or so.

When I went back for the scan l just lay down, closed my eyes and it was all over in a few minutes.

Nothing to worry about.

There was a Men's Cancer Group on at my local Maggie's and I went there in the 2 hours I had to wait for the scan.

See if there's anything near you to fill in the time.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Sreve,

You're right of course, it's not knowing that's the worst part of anything like this. My wife's going to keep me company during the waiting period, I'll just be careful not to irradiate her... 

Thanks for the reassurance; I'm grateful, everyone's been really supportive.

Best,

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback