Bone scan appointment

• 22 replies
  • 127 subscribers

Good evening all,

I’ve got a bone scan booked for next Tuesday, the 14th. Any words of advice or hints as to what I should expect?

The Shellback

• Richard,

I wonder how hard this is affecting my partner.  When I was diagnosed, I was there but not there (if you know what I mean).  It was the effect on Tracey, my partner.  She just burst into tears.  That's when I realized what the Prof had just said to me.

We're both in a better place now.  Given we've had 3 1/2 months to get used to it.

Hope all goes well for both of you.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Steve,

know exactly what you mean about not being there; you hear but the meaning of the words doesn't sink in.

Christine has been suffering from anxiety for the whole of this covid pandemic. When I got my diagnosis - last Thursday! - she was even lower, not sleeping and in tears. My cancer is low on all the scales of progression and I've stressed that the treatments are pretty effective.

That has helped and lowered her stress levels a bit, this week has been better. We've been sharing these exchanges too and all the encouragement we've found here, all the wisdom and good sense have cast a hopeful light on our future. I say 'our' future because, as you know, we are not in a vacuum, there are two of us in this fight.

I like the Alcoholics Anonymous' wish to have the serenity to accept what can't be changed but I'd add 'and all the tools to change what can be changed'.

I wish you and Tracey well, I suspect that you are each other's best support, like me and Christine - and the NHS!

In solidarity,

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback

The situation is desperate - but not serious.

• Richard, thanks for that.  We were both up at 3:30am this morning, couldn't sleep, both had Hot Flushes.  Tracey's had them for years but I am still a Hot Flushes Virgin.

I joked at first when I was going on Hormone treatment, "Ooh, can't wait to get a Hot Flush".

Now I can't wait to get rid of them.

I take my hat off to every single woman (and man) who has had to endure these. (I don't wear a hat, but you know what I mean).

Get my next Hormone Injection on Christmas Eve, guess what I am getting for Christmas.  6 months of Hormones.

I'll try not to complain too much, it needs to be done 

Steve (SteveCam)

• I keep a small hand held fan by the side of the bed and get to use it most nights.

Regards Reg

• Good morning Steve, assuming you’re awake after your nocturnal activity!

I’ve clearly underestimated the side effects of the hormones. Christine tells me that she escaped the Hot Flushes, so I’ll hope it runs in the family. 

Again, you’re so right in taking that attitude towards treatment: “I’ll jist hae tae  thole it”. (I had to rewrite almost all of that quote, damn’ predictive text…).

In solidarity,

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback

• Morning Reg,

Technology to the rescue!

Best,

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback

• Hi

A trick I do if your up to it, is damping a towel, give it a good wring and cover yourself, while the weathers warm I just lay on top of the covers and the towel on top of me. It cools the body just something you might try, I’ve been on hormone injections for five years ( prostap ) so I’am reasonable used to it.

stay safe

Joe

• Thanks Joe,

Might give it a try.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Joe

great tip thanks , I have been using a noisy fan so I never have a good nights kip, will try it tonight.

cheers Tony

• I had my bone scan around 2 weeks ago at The Medical Physics dept. Went to hospital 2 hours before appt for the ‘tracer’ injection and then went home as hospital quite close. Went back for the scan , changed into gown . The first part was hands by side and loosely strapped by side and scanned head to toe. Second part was hands crossed behind my head for 30 minutes. It seemed like an age and my arms and hands were numb and took a few minutes to get circulation going. Last part was 15 minutes of arms again behind head and tucked in so scanner was freely moving and scanned my pelvic area. After told to drink plenty clear fluids to get rid of tracer. If scan procedure was same as mine if anyone has problems with their arms they should mention it before the procedure . Apart from the numbness and being a contortionist for a while the procedure was ok.