Brachy implant 3rd June - so far so good

• 4 replies
  • 119 subscribers
  1. Hi to all whether we’ve chatted before or not. Diagnosed in December, gleeson 3.4, PSA 5.3 upto 6.1 on last test. Hoped for Hifu but as I have multi focal PC that was not suitable so my next option was permanent seed  Brachytherapy which I underwent 2 days ago.  My prostate was not hugely enlarged so I did not need HT prior to the procedure. I was very apprehensive but after chatting to Robin, Lego Bertie and Baffledman on here plus a couple of people through friends of family, I went into this feeling confident that it was the correct choice for me even if it meant a little travel from Hull to Leeds which is nothing really. 
    Had a very informative chat with Dr Henry before and after during which she told me to expect urinary urgency in the coming weeks and broken sleep because of it. She talked me through the procedure itself and exactly what to expect afterwards. 
    I went under at about 0930 and came round just after 1130 , felt like I had an ostrich egg between my legs but otherwise pretty good. Catheter had been removed and I pee’d for England almost straight away which boded well and I was home a couple of hours later. I’m taking Tamuslosin and am told to continue that until after my first review in 6 weeks . I’ve had no pain as yet , mild soreness between arse n balls as expected which by day 3 is fading, one drop of blood I noted in my urine but nothing in the poo and no discomfort. I did take some senna as advised just to avoid having to strain. 
    So far I’m feeling good and doing as advised , taking it easy so as not to dislodge any of my 76 seeds. I intend to start gentle yoga tomorrow to stretch off , start going for walks and back to desk work at home on Monday . I will avoid driving and climbing ( roof works ) for another week and post any updates which might help any of you considering the same treatment. Please feel free to ask any questions as I was so grateful to the other guys who answered mine . 
    I am fully aware that this is only the beginning of the treatment process and that things will change once the seeds start their work. I am apprehensive once again but aim to keep body and mind as fit as possible. 
    best wishes to you all. 
    Dave 
  • Good to hear your procedure went well, Roofbeaver! It’s strange how different areas have different procedures. My scores were almost the same as yours - My psa was 5.3, Gleason score 3+4 =7, prostate size 30ml.

But our treatment then differed. I had bicalutamide and tamoxifen for 3 months and that reduced prostate size to 26ml. I had 66 seeds implanted. 

I did not have a chat at all after the brachy procedure, and do not have a follow up after 6 weeks either! I have a telephone consultation at the end of the 3 months of the seeds being radioactive, when they will discuss the results of blood test for psa (taken i week prior to consultation).

I have to say I’m surprised at how laid back my team seem to be, I was just given a letter that said ‘no complications’ and instructions on what tablets I need to take!

I’m 4 weeks post seed implants on Monday. All is good too! I was told to chill for a week then to resume to my normal life style. So I’ve been going to the gym, swimming and running, gardening and I’ve not even avoided the ironing! 
    I have not had to get up to pee in the night either, if I wake up I do go, but that’s only because I’ve woken and I’m thinking about it, not that it’s woken me.

I do tend to drop off for 40 winks at about 8ish, but that is normally after I’ve been reading for a couple of hours, and I always have very active days, so I can’t say it’s fatigue from the treatment. 
    I have been told the radioactivity peaks between 4-6 weeks so I’m prepared for some aggravation soon.... but as they say ‘when the going gets tough, the tough get going’ so we’ll see!

Keep posting, young Roofbeaver... 

And best wishes to you too, Robin, seems like you have been having a rough ride with your eye, you must be due for some luck now!

all the best one and all!

• Good morning Baffledman,

I was very pleased to read your extremely positive report and hope that you continue to feel as good as that. Well done on your return to being so active , I'm looking forward to it but I suppose all cases are different and my advice was to wait.   I'm also aware that there may be tough times ahead. I feel physically strong but am waking up at least once or twice then struggling to get back to sleep . I'm  feeling pretty fatigued due to broken sleep but otherwise I'm obeying orders and doing very little apart from desk work from home and household chores. I'll bide my time as instructed for 2 weeks before I go back to training and also as advised haven't tried any sexual activity yet although the urge is 100 % still there and is high on my to do list !!

I'll do a full update (not on the sexual activity Slight smile)  once I get past the 2 week point and would love to know how you're getting on.

Best wishes

Dave 

• Hi young Roofbeaver…Sounds like you are doing fine to me, except for the broken sleep. I think many people suffer broken sleep, restless nights and getting up to take a leak. Even before I had the brachy treatment, if I awoke I would normally take a leak. Nothing has changed for me since the seed implants, I go for a leak if I wake up, but I don’t wake up because I need to take a leak. It’s 5 weeks today since I had my brachy seed implants, and I can report that I’m still pretty much flying. Well not literally flying, but if I was able to fly before my treatment, then I reckon I would still be able to fly now, as I feel the same. I’m running about 3 times per week, distances 3-5 miles each time. I feel like I’m running a bit slower, but I think that’s only because I’m not pushing myself. I’m also doing everything in the gym, except the bikes, as that is the only thing I was told to avoid. Swimming as well, 30 minute sessions, but I’m a useless swimmer so that only totals about 20 lengths in our local pool. Again, I couldn’t do any better before the brachy, so no changes here either. I do feel fatigued at the end of the day, but i can’t say it’s down to the seeds or hormone tablets, I would be feeling the same before the brachy treatment, as what I do most days would make a donkey throw in the towel! 
    The one thing that I can say has changed is the libido. The suppression of testosterone by the hormone tablets means i don’t get so many urges. Since the seed implants, I don’t even want to go there to be honest,  as of course that means strangulation (by condoms) and resulting dark brown ejaculations… which I’ve been told is to be expected. If only the one eyed snake would go into hibernation till after the 3 months of radioactivity, it would be preferable, but it is good to know it’s all working fine, so ‘it is what it is’, as they say….

Keep us posted, young Roofbeaver, and best wishes to one and all…

• Dear Baffledman,

Its always good to get your brilliantly upbeat updates ! I am so pleased at your continuing positivity and your physical workouts and training and genuinely feel inspired by your progress. I  will post up an update for all on my experiences 2 weeks into the process and thank you for you replies which always make me smile.

All the very best 

Dave