Advanced Prostate cancer

• 8 replies
  • 122 subscribers

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2012 and up until 2019 was able to live a fairly normal life with hormone treatment. The cancer has since spread to the bones and lymph nodes and I would say that he had months to live at the start of this year. I had to ask for support from our local hospice as his bone pain was unbearable. 

His oncologist suggested a treatment called Lutetium 177 which is unproven in the Uk, some private ins companies will not cover it and its not offered on the NHS as it hasn’t received its NICE license. It’s a radioactive injection that targets all the cancer cells in the body with less side effects than Chemo. There are a couple of private hospitals now offering this treatment in the UK.

His first treatment was on the 8th April, his PSA was 284, 4 weeks later my fathers PSA is 125, with his second injection on Monday, I’m hoping it will continue on the same path.

I wanted to share that Lutetium 177 is a viable option to advanced prostate cancer patients when the normal hormone treatment has stopped working.

Best wishes

• Hi van Dan, I was diagnosed in January this year with advanced prostate cancer, which has spread to my bones and lymph nodes, being treated with hormone and radiotherapy, which is woking, but nice to know that there is alternative treatments should mine stop working. Thanks

Ulls

• Hi,

im glad your treatment is working and that my post has given you some hope.

Good Luck

vanessa

• Thanks for that!

There has been a fair bit of research, which generally shows that reducing PSA is a realistic expectation, especially with more than one dose.

So far, however, the research tells us little about how good it is at reducing symptoms, or extending life expectancy. If one or other can be achieved, it'll be come easier to get the treatment paid for by insurers or the NHS.

Is your father feeling the benefit so far?

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

Before the treatment my father had lost his appetite and losing weight rapidly. The pain in his back meant that his mobility and movement was very difficult. He struggled to shower, get dressed and basic steps were painful. He slept most of the day and I was relying on our local hospice for daily support with his pain relief and constipation.

Since  the first injection his PSA has dropped significantly ( more than 6 months of chemo). His appetite has returned, his mood has improved, the pain has reduced but not completely gone. We had to increase his steroids as he had a pain surge after 2 weeks, which has made him very hyper. The Hospital have been monitoring his bloods every 2 weeks and there has been no significant change in his red blood count.

in summary, the family noticed an improvement in my father in the first week. I know that if he hadn’t taken this treatment he wouldn’t be here today. 

it was definitely worth it for him and I hope this information helps others.

Good luck

• Hi. My father has prostate cancer which has spread to his bone. If Lutetium77 is not available on the NhS is your father paying privately?  I’d be interested in more information if at all possible x 

• There some research studies involving Lutetium. It's worth asking the oncologist about them.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

my father is paying for his treatment privately, as his insurance company will not cover it. 

if you need any more information please just ask