Peritoneal stage 4 disgnosis

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm 44,  just been diagnosed with Stage 4 peritoneal cancer, only symptom was tiredness. 

Being told that I'm bizarrely well physically.

Have been scheduled for 23rd to begin carbonation and pacslitaxel

I've consented to do the brca test but results won't come back for some months. I'm slightly confused as to why they would start chemo before having these results and it's all still very new 

I have a history of anaemia and heavy periods so I'm very worried about the impact of this if anyone else can relate?

• Hello Pando23

Welcome to the Online Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had a diagnosis of Peritoneal Cancer. It must have come as a shock to you with tiredness being in the only symptom. I hope that you are having the support that you need from your hospital and feel informed about what is happening. It is good that you are feeling well despite the diagnosis.

I had carboplatin and paclitaxel chemo last year for endometrial cancer. I can understand that being told that you need chemo can be scary and I was also concerned about the side effects. When you go to the consents appointment and they tell you about the potential side effects it can be very worrying but in reality I found that most of them I didn't actually experience and the ones that I did get were controlled with medication. With regard to having a history of anaemia and heavy periods- they will keep a close eye on you. If you talk to your team they will be able to tell you how the chemo may affect your periods. They do very regular blood tests during the chemo so any problems are quickly picked up and addressed. I had very low haemoglobin levels a few times but was given a blood transfusion to sort them. 

With the brca test taking several months to come back it does seem normal for them to want to get on and start the chemo. The chemo is because of the cancer rather than what caused it is perhaps the way to look at it.

I did find chemo hard at times but it was very different to what I expected. The chemo ward was divided into bays and there were 6 reclining chairs in each. It was a bright and airy place and very calm and professional. I felt well supported. I used the cooling cap throughout mine to prevent hair loss so on my regime I would arrive around 8. Have blood tests. Have the cooling cap put on. Then it would be the infusions and I would be finished around 5. Mine was 4 cycles of 21 days but it does vary. I found I felt most poorly in the first week, a bit better in the second week and then more myself by the third week. If you have any questions about the treatment- please do ask. I found the more informed I was the better.

I will pop some links below that may be of help.

Cancer of the ovary, fallopian tube, or peritoneum booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

Paclitaxel and carboplatin | Macmillan Cancer Support

If you have any medical questions then we do have an Ask the Expert section where you can post questions for a nurse to respond to. They normally reply within 3 working days

Ask a Nurse - Macmillan Online Community

If at anytime you feel talking to someone would help then there is a Support Line that is from 8am-8pm daily. The number is below.

Hope this helps a bit and in the meantime if there is anything else you need please just ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis. It must have come as a shock. I have had a different type of cancer so I hope you don't mind me responding. I have had the same type of chemo that you will be having though. Just click on my username if you would like to read my profile. It is a good idea to write a profile yourself as it helps others in their replies to you and also saves you repeating yourself. You can update it at any time. Just click on your own username, then profile and don't forget to save.

It may be too soon for you to think about but as you are stage 4, I wanted to suggest this group  Living with incurable cancer forum - patients only 

It is a very friendly and supportive group and we all understand each other as although we have different cancers we are all incurable but treatable. I wish you all the best for your treatment.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hello, my mum has very recently been diagnosed with stage 3 Peritoneal Cancer. Her symptoms before diagnosis where bloating and being uncomfortable after eating. Ever since she had a biopsy shes been really unwell, went downhill. Shes just been in hospital after a week of being unable to keep food down and losing alot of weight to have 6 litres of fluid drained from her stomach. How are you doing? my mum seems really unwell, starting chemo frist week in Sept x