Newly diagnosed with ‘rare’ cancer and conflicting emotions

• 86 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hello everyone,

a little bit about my journey so far if you don’t mind.

all started 10 months ago when I was given a blood test for ca 125 as my I s was getting worse. The results were high and initially this was dealt with swiftly as the go said I could have ovarian issues. I was given an internal and stomach ultra sound and was told everything was ok. I was then sent for a follow up blood test in case it was a blip and this got lost. I was sent for another blood test and the results were still high (about 3 months had gone by now). I was then sent for a ct scan and was told they wanted to investigate further so was sent for a punch biopsy. I was awake during this and the surgeon said he didn’t think it had worked and it turned out he was right as he couldn’t get a good sample. In January 22 I had a laparoscopy biopsy.  2 weeks later after hearing nothing I telephoned and was told over the phone by a nurse that I had cancer. I said was it ovarian and she said no then came out with the phrase ‘ low grade mucinous carcinoma of the peritoneal within the gastro intestine’ . 

This meAnt nothing to me and she tried to find out but she said it was really rare and she didn’t have any further information. Nearly 6 weeks on I have had no letters , no telephone from anyone and if it wasn’t for the fact that I made a right pest of myself phoning every day for 10 days that I got further info.

i was told as it was not a gynae issue the team had batted it to colo rectal team at my local hospital. After numerous phone calls to various teams and consultants secretaries I was told by one secretary that my cancer was so rare it had been discussed at a MDT that I will be referred to Basingstoke hospital which is about 2 hours from where I live. I then had to keep chasing again as the consultant needed  to formally sign me over to Basingstoke and it took a few more phone calls by me to confirm this has been done.

That was this week. Now I am in no way a medical person and I have still not had any letters or feedback from anyone apart from the nurse so I still not 100% sure it is actually peritoneal cancer or not but I am currently feeling overwhelmed with anger at the slowness of things happening and the fact no one actually tells me what is going on. I have had to tell my family as up to now I was keeping it secret but I only tell them bits and just want somewhere to talk about this as it’s totally all encompassing at the moment. I do not know what any treatment may look like and have been googling things which has really scared me like the cytoplasm reduction surgery which totally sent me into an emotional free fall.

so that’s it. Lol. My story so far. If anyone may possibly have something similar I would really like to hear from you

Thank you 

• Hi Jocelyn,

I know what you mean about staying positive when you don't know how long you have left. I have had seven rounds of chemo and major surgery to get rid of what they could see. Mine is stage 3 serious. I am now on a treatment called avastin which can give you more time. I am taking it as it comes. I have a holiday with my daughter and grandchildren in 3 weeks and have just booked a cruise for October. I don't know how long I have got but I am going to make the most of it. I hope the chemo isn't too gruelling for you and once you have had your treatment make the most of evedrything. Healing thoughts to you.

• Hi Toyo. So glad to hear your husband has had his operation and is recovering well. He has certainly been through the mill and hopefully is feeling more positive now. thinking of you both ans sending good wishes.

• Hi Elizabeth 

Did you have many side effects with the chemo and avastin?  Do you still have infusions for Avastin or is it tablet form ?  So nice to hear from someone in same horrible situation but you are right we have to grab life while we can and I like your attitude towards it .  We can’t let cancer win entirely .  Your holiday with your family is a lovely way to make memories.  I’ve got my first grandchild due soon so I want to try and grab as much time as possible .  Not ready to go yet despite what they say 

• Hi Jocelyn.  I am surprised that your oncologist told you Avastin is no longer available on NHS, I am currently on a twelve month course of Bevacizumab/Avastin on NHS I would query it again. You have to have it before you finish chemotherapy so if your chemo has finished that could be why you can't have it. Good luck.

• Hi Jocelyn. I have just seen your reply sorry. The Avastin is still an infusion every three weeks but you don't get the bad side effects that you do with chemo, I have had three so far and just felt a little sickly in the mornings. Once the first two have been done it is only a half hour infusion so no sitting there all day. I too am not ready to give in to this and will make as much enjoyment as I can, while I can, at the moment apart from my legs being weak I feel fine, my hair is growing back white but what the hell at least is is growing again. Take care.

• hi Elizabeth 

he was adamant that it was not available on NHS and has put me on a six week course of irinitocan  and Avastin and it’s really expensive. I have just googled it and irinitocan is a type of chemo.  He said Avastin was taken off the market for NHS as too expensive

Does anyone else on here know if it’s still available on NHS ? 

• Hi Plum1360

Just wondering how you're getting on with your treatment?

I was recently diagnosed (2 weeks ago) with peritoneal cancer after being diagnosed last year with a rare womb cancer... adenocarcinoma. I had a radical hysterectomy and 6 months of chemotherapy.  

I was doing well up until now. I believe mine is secondary but I've seen on this site, quite rare and not a lot of information on here.

I'm trying to stay positive but it is difficult. Hope you're managing to stay positive.

Helen 

Helen 
  • Hi Nan7 thanks for asking. They had to give me a break! 8 sessions of Capiri had given me severe periferal neuralgia.  My fingers and feet did not work. I am 2 months into 3 months off. The PN is still giving me problems. It may never go away. CT scan on 24th and see how my tumours are !!! Then Capox.which make my hair fall out. Not so bad for a bloke though.

Keep strong. Optimism is a boon.

• Sorry  to hear about that. Hope you get back on track and the medication helps.

Helen 
  • Hi ElizabethB

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.  It has been a real roller coaster.  The operation was 14 hours long with the team literally looking and feeling every organ and then filling the peritoneal cavity with this cryotherapy treatment. The next day I was able to see him in intensive care where he stayed for three days.  Then they closed the hospital down due to a Covid peak.  They wanted to send him home after 10 days but he produced pus on his lower lung and diaphragm.  Apparently, this is normal with this kind of operation. Finally he spent a month in hospital.  Now we are home and the battle about eating begins.  I have spoken to the oncology nurse who is looking for a psychologist, in August a rare thing. The nutritionist has visited and has told me to take care of me too. He has a temporary stoma but right now is his own worst enemy.  We have been told they got all the cancer out, but on 8 August we will be given the results of the biopsy. Fingers crossed!!