Newly diagnosed with ‘rare’ cancer and conflicting emotions

• 86 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hello everyone,

a little bit about my journey so far if you don’t mind.

all started 10 months ago when I was given a blood test for ca 125 as my I s was getting worse. The results were high and initially this was dealt with swiftly as the go said I could have ovarian issues. I was given an internal and stomach ultra sound and was told everything was ok. I was then sent for a follow up blood test in case it was a blip and this got lost. I was sent for another blood test and the results were still high (about 3 months had gone by now). I was then sent for a ct scan and was told they wanted to investigate further so was sent for a punch biopsy. I was awake during this and the surgeon said he didn’t think it had worked and it turned out he was right as he couldn’t get a good sample. In January 22 I had a laparoscopy biopsy.  2 weeks later after hearing nothing I telephoned and was told over the phone by a nurse that I had cancer. I said was it ovarian and she said no then came out with the phrase ‘ low grade mucinous carcinoma of the peritoneal within the gastro intestine’ . 

This meAnt nothing to me and she tried to find out but she said it was really rare and she didn’t have any further information. Nearly 6 weeks on I have had no letters , no telephone from anyone and if it wasn’t for the fact that I made a right pest of myself phoning every day for 10 days that I got further info.

i was told as it was not a gynae issue the team had batted it to colo rectal team at my local hospital. After numerous phone calls to various teams and consultants secretaries I was told by one secretary that my cancer was so rare it had been discussed at a MDT that I will be referred to Basingstoke hospital which is about 2 hours from where I live. I then had to keep chasing again as the consultant needed  to formally sign me over to Basingstoke and it took a few more phone calls by me to confirm this has been done.

That was this week. Now I am in no way a medical person and I have still not had any letters or feedback from anyone apart from the nurse so I still not 100% sure it is actually peritoneal cancer or not but I am currently feeling overwhelmed with anger at the slowness of things happening and the fact no one actually tells me what is going on. I have had to tell my family as up to now I was keeping it secret but I only tell them bits and just want somewhere to talk about this as it’s totally all encompassing at the moment. I do not know what any treatment may look like and have been googling things which has really scared me like the cytoplasm reduction surgery which totally sent me into an emotional free fall.

so that’s it. Lol. My story so far. If anyone may possibly have something similar I would really like to hear from you

Thank you 

• Hi there must be different peretoneal cancers ,mine is primary advanced grade 3c..I went down to Basingstoke as I had read up on the Hipec operation but was told I wasn't suitable . 
    Dissapointed I am on 3 strong doses of 3 different chemotherapy now and possibly another 3 after this

i find it a very strange cancer and don't seem to get all the answers I'm needing.

good luck everyone x

• Thanks so much for your support. I am pleased you took the decision to live. I will let you know what they say and look up the person you mentioned. Thanks for being there!

• I too seem have 'something different '!

Metastatic peritoneal cancer, stage 4

I've had 8 treatments of Capox and apparently a few of my dozen or more tumors have eventually shrunk. However there is no hope of killing them all off and a surgical removal is impossible due to the number of blood vessels in the peritoneum. 

I'm having 3 months off as my body is wrecked with periferal neuralgia. 

Starting on Capiri in September .

Known as 'palative care' Ha.

• So sorry it's definitely a weird one,we must be the Chosen Few as not many have heard of it! X

• Hi Toyo, just thought I would contact you again to ask how things are going with your husbands treatment. I hope things are looking more positive now. Sending best wishes to you both. x

• Hi Ice Maiden, I am hoping that you have now got the answers that you need. I have had all my chemotherapy sessions now and at the moment after my last CT scan there is no visible cancer to be seen. I have had the debulking op and am now more or less recovered from that and am feeling quite well. I wish you all the best, x

• Hi I too have peritoneal cancer and yes there doesn’t seem to be much hope.  I have the KRAS gene which is not good at all.  They are starting me on chemo next week again.  I had 8 rounds last year for the primary bowel cancer.  How are you getting on with your chemo?  I’m new to this site and tbh not sure what to say and put. Not easy to talk about this stuff but feel I would like to talk to someone with a similar prognosis 

• Hi 

i have the same as you . It’s so scary .  Mine is secondary as I had chemo last year for my bowel then it came back in my peritoneum and I now start chemo again next week.  Had a bad time last time so not looking forward to it but what else can you do .  I was so positive last year and trying to stay positive that if I do this I will extend my life a wee bit but it’s so hard to get your head round. You see other people doing normal things planning holidays etc and then think “why me?” I don’t want the sympathy vote but I wish I could just find a way to cope mentally 

• Hi. My hisband underwent a 14 hour operation and soent 2 days in ICU. He has a colostomy bag which they hope to be able to resection in the fiture. The cancer had reached his diaphragm but they were able to get it all out and followed up with cryotherapy. I asked about prognosis but they said that the biopsies would take time. At the moment he seems okay. Just crossing our fingers that this was the primary as it started in his colon. I hope that helps you. I know this treatment is quite new butt this is a pioneering team, so I am just praying for a good result 

• I asked about that treatment but oncologist said not suitable for me so has prescribed irinotecan  /avastin.  However Avastin no longer available on NHS so if I want it I will somehow have to raise money to self fund.  He says it’s my best chance to hold it a bay for a few more years.  The blow of being told it had spread and then told drug no longer available was really hard .

I hope they have managed to stop your husbands with his treatment . Sending all good positive thoughts